Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A new, fun way to engage

Our daughter got my husband a karaoke microphone for Christmas. It is by Bonaok (available on Amazon). I connect it with Amazon Music, switch on the “view lyrics.” My HWD enjoys reading along and singing (as best he can). He really gets into it! It is so cute to see him enjoy himself and we sometimes do duets.

He never had hobbies, does not read nor enjoy puzzles. This is a super fun way to keep his mind and body active.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Lynne, that sounds like a big win! Thanks for passing it on.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

We request songs from Alexa to play on the Echo device, every night after we’re in bed, before going to sleep. I made a playlist of a bunch of mostly old songs and we sing or hum along, lying there in the dark. I was surprised at how many words he knows and how much he enjoys it. We usually start out with that song by Andy Williams, ‘May each day in the week be a good day’ that he used to sing at the end of all of his tv shows. Then we just go on from there. Sometimes it’s 15 minutes, sometimes it’s well over an hour. It’s a relaxing way to end the day and he seems to love it. It ends the day on a pleasant note. He’s probably somewhere int stage 6.

Lynne, I wonder if there are any streaming tv stations that have karaoke?

• Tony484
    Tony484 Member Posts: 31
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Lynn,

This could save the day for me.  Could you explain at a simple level what you mean by and how you go about "connect(ing) it with Amazon Music, switch on the “view lyrics.”   That is, what hardware do you need beyond the microphone set up, and what is involved, including subscription etc., with connecting it with Amazon Music and the view lyrics feature.  I'm only familiar with the free (and quite limited) Amazon music that comes with the cheap Echo type devices, but not with anything that would enable lyric viewing etc. 

Thanks!

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Hey Tony484,

The microphone connects with any Bluetooth enabled device. I access Amazon Music on my phone. When a song is playing you can easily see where to tap to view the lyrics. You can connect to YouTube and find some karaoke there as well.

It is not always easy if you do not use this kind of technology much. Kids and grandkids (I imagine!) can be a great help. 

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Tony, if you have Amazon Prime you get Amazon Music for free, and you can upgrade, for a small fee, to get much more Amazon music. When you play a song, there’s a box on the device screen to click to “view lyrics.” Don’t know how that might work with Alexa.

Apple Music (an app) also displays lyrics along with the songs, if you ask on their drop-down menu. The subscription cost is about $7 month.

Lynn that’s so great you found this, and out of the blue, sounds like!

• Tony484
    Tony484 Member Posts: 31
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Lynne and Rescue mom,

Thanks for the info.  It didn't occur to me that I could access my Amazon Music on my phone. Go figure.  I suspect then that there is either some way to project the lyrics to a TV via a Roku Device or the like, or to somehow directly access the music via the TV itself.  Before I was a caregiver, I was the technical expert of the family.  I guess it is time to turn that over to the grandkids!

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    That is great!  My husband has alexa on all the time and sings in the kitchen.  He will also watch you tube music videos and sing along.  He was singing to Andrea Bocelli one day when our son walked in and said "I didn't know you knew Italian"!  We laughed and DH had a great time.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more