Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

retiring from caretaking

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
My therapist tried a new tack with me a few months ago.  She said I had retirement anxiety based on being a retired caretaker.  Caretaking was an all consuming "job".  even the first few years after placement I was confident she "needed me".  Eventually that was simply not the case.   Its and interesting shift in how to look a the world.

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Crushed, I have heard of that but can't recall where. It makes perfect sense to me.  A psychologist told me years ago that mental health requires work, play and someone to love.

Based on that, it appears you need to find a new job and I need to plan for one a few years hence.  Not for pay, we don't need the money.  Good luck.

• A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Hi, Crushed. I'm more of a lurker than a poster myself, but I always look for your posts. 

I too am pretty much in the "retired caregiver" position now, since I placed my DH in an SNL 8 months ago, and the staff is doing the best they can with him (given the personnel shortages that are rife everywhere). But I too am struggling with the issues of "what's next?" and finding a new role, other than checking in frequently to make sure that DH is well cared for. Best wishes to you in your tough place, from me in mine.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I think that’s a great insight.  

Good retirement planning doesn’t only mean making sure finances are sufficient to support oneself.  It also requires thinking about what’s next.  You retire Friday, have a great retirement party, then you wake up Monday morning with nowhere to go and nothing to do.
    Caregiving is the ultimate workaholic 24/7 job.  Handing the primary responsibility over to. MCF leaves an enormous void.  

I am still working as well as caregiving, in part because I enjoy working but also because I haven’t adequately answered for myself what’s next.  But I think it’s going to be around finding purpose or meaning, significance, in service to others.  

Caregiving is hard.  Interesting to contemplate that not caregiving, or less caregiving, is hard too!
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I did not realize that my being a caregiver had been my "employment" until my husband died. I was out of a job.
    That, in some respects, could be easier than being in "semi-retirement". It could truly be some form of emotional limbo.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more