Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Seizure that came with a gift

My husband had a seizure Tuesday morning. It was the scariest thing I’ve been through on this journey . It started with him yelling and screaming. Then his limbs began posturing . Finally he went completely rigid and his head tilted back and his breaths came in puffs. He bit his tongue and it began to bleed.

When it was over  he slept. The next day he seemed his usual self as far as cognition and speech goes. But today my husband woke up very animated. His language and recognition were back to where he was six months ago before hospice. He told me “ you are a nice woman” and “ you are so cute”  when his brother ( who my husband hasn’t recognized in months) came over for his weekly visit , my husband reacted the way you would expect someone to feel when they they greet their long lost brother- he cried out with joy, called him by name , and then began to cry from the emotion. It was so touching to see.

I have since read that this can happen . That somehow the seizure can make them more alert if only temporarily  . I think in a weeks time it will all fade and he may actually get worse because.  of it.

If this journey wasn’t crazy enough we have a whole new set of curious things to ponder. The brain is such an amazing thing and there is so much we don’t understand about it

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Battle buddy sorry your going thru this. When I was younger had had seizures for many years. My only advice is, if he has another seizure clear away any objects he could hit and do not try to restran him, during a seizure he could have incredible  strength. Do not put your fingers in his mouth. And the sleep is very normal. I always sleep after mine. It sounds like the unexpected effects are really a gift as you said.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I’m sure witnessing the seizure was scary but the after effect must have been be heartwarming. I would not want DW to experience a seizure even if it came with I increased cognition but I often think what I would give for “one more day”.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That is both terrifying, and a beautiful result! I'm sorry you had to experience the seizure.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    The seizure sounds terrifying, but wouldn’t it be nice if the after effects lasted?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more