Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Bad Dreams

My mom passed away over 20 years ago after complications from heart surgery at the age of 68.  It was a horrible blow to me as she was the sweetest, most kind and compassionate woman I felt in the world.  Her death came only 10 months after my dad died at the age of 67 from cancer.  What has been a blessing during these past 20 years is when I'd dream of her it was always the way she was, happy and my loving mom.  I felt in a way it was her way of keeping in contact with me and I always woke happy.

The past few months though when she is in my dreams my sweet loving mom is mean, yells a lot and not very nice.  I wake up sad and upset.  I'm wondering if the stress of my DH and his disease is sending subliminal messages to my brain blocking the happy dreams and causing distress.  Maybe it's my MIL or both?  Could this be a thing?  It seems anytime something out of the ordinary happens in my life it is because of dementia.  Because after all it has taken away everything good in my life so why not my sweet dreams?

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I think you are correct.  The stress you live with is working itself out in your dreams and borrowing your mother's face.  I think your mother will return to your dreams as before when this part of your life is over.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more