Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Instant Hospice

My DW did a fall into Stage 7 over just a few days. All of a sudden she ticked all the boxes. I had figured out how to deal with months of Stage 6, so this took me by surprise, and I had no idea how to handle it. So I called the ALZ help number, and they were quite helpful about what to do next. So then I called a local Hospice organization which had very good word of mouth. It was a Saturday afternoon, so I expected to be told what to do when I called back Monday. Instead, they sent a Nurse right over to the house to do an evaluation and to put me in the picture. So now the papers are signed and we're all set with in-home comfort care for her and plenty of help for me, all paid for by Medicare. DW being bedridden and semi-conscious makes for some changes around the house. I no longer have to hide the things I don't want her to mess with or put away in unlikely places. I no longer have to watch her like a hawk when she's in the kitchen. I certainly miss her as she was before Dementia hit, and will for the rest of my life. But I won't miss what she had become.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    glad you got such a prompt response, it's nice when things work like they're supposed to.  I feel for you facing the final stages though.  Never easy no matter how prepared we think we are.
  • Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I’m glad for you and I’m glad they came out promptly. Isn’t it nice just to ratchet down the vigilance a notch or two?

My husband managed to get out of his hospital bed in the first months of Hospice , so I got longer side rails. But other than that I’ve been able  to return some things  to normal in other rooms because he is not leaving the bed. This weekend I took off the child locks in the kitchen. It felt good

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I understand that hospice is not something you were looking forward to, but glad you're getting the needed help now. Maybe you'll be able to get a little needed rest.
  • tcrosse
    tcrosse Member Posts: 44
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    I wish I had done it sooner.  Hospice started on Sunday, and by Tuesday morning she had passed away. But still, I don't know what I would have done without it.
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Oh tcross, I am so sorry for your loss. This was so sudden; I would imagine that you are in shock.
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    tcrosse wrote:
    I wish I had done it sooner.  Hospice started on Sunday, and by Tuesday morning she had passed away. But still, I don't know what I would have done without it.

Oh tcross, I am so sorry for your loss. Your wife's passing was so sudden.  I would imagine that you are in shock.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Deepest condolences on the loss of your DW.  The rapidity of her decline must have taken your breath away.  May the days and weeks ahead bring you peace and rest.
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Tcrosse, I’m sorry for your loss of your DW. May your memories help you through this difficult time. I’m glad you got hospice in for the last couple of days.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear tcrosse,

I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad that hospice was with you in the end.

May God comfort you and bring you peace. May he give you strength and help you heal. You have been through so much. Please take care of you.

-LT

• tcrosse
    tcrosse Member Posts: 44
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    Thanks for the condolences. My DW went from Stage 6 to Stage 8 in record time, and I am grateful to a merciful God for taking her home so quickly. Better that than drawing out her suffering. We will meet again in a better world.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    tcrosse, I'm so sorry for your loss. May God bless you in this time of grieving.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss but grateful that your dear wife is with our Heavenly Father. No more pain or confusion, just a happy beautiful lady again. God be with you and your family! 

• cabychek
    cabychek Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I'm so very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing this part of your journey in your posts.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I am so so sorry for your loss. But you're right - it was good to be a quick journey at the end. 

May you have peace in the days ahead.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

tcrosse,

I am so sorry for your loss.  You barely had time to prepare for the end when the end came.  I hope you can find peace and strength in the days and weeks to come.   

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I am sorry for your loss. The fact that she went fast was much better than suffering for a long time, but it can't lesson the hurt when the end comes. I wish I could lessen the pain.
  • LA Kitty
    LA Kitty Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary

Tcrosse,

Condolences to you on the loss of your DW.  My DH also passed very quickly.  His caretaker and his doctor, along with myself, thought he was having a stroke because he couldn't plant his feet on the ground in order to stand up nor could he speak.  His tongue was thick and he couldn't say anything.  We had him transported to the hospital to have a brain scan to see any evidence of a stroke.  There was no evidence of a stroke but he tested positive for COVID.  He was treated in the hospital with Remdesivir and oxygen.  He was discharged home when he was no longer contagious and passed away in his sleep 6 days later.  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more