Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Another close call

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
Early this morning I was holding her hand when she got out of bed. I must have been off balance because she fell, and I went with her. I hit my head on the night stand, and I think she did too. We're both fine, but I think I have a sprained little finger. Not complaining. I'll take it. We're gonna have to quit this. One day we won't be so lucky.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Sorry to hear this, praying for ya
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Gosh Ed, I am so sorry.   Please keep close watch on yourself; if you feel anything even a bit off kilter, do not hesitate to have yourself seen; head injuries can fool us as we may initially not feel anything off.

Need a gyroscope or two . . . those falls happen so abruptly in a split second; hope your finger heals soon.  Let us know how you are doing. 

J.

• Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Ed, so glad no serious injuries.  Even when you were being as caring as possible, actually holding her hand, things can go awry. It's a wakeup call for sure. My recent tripping episode (cracked rib) woke me up to what happens to DH if something more serious happens to me. Spurred me to make a binder with all DH's info (thanks Lady Texan and Butterfly Wings for content suggestions), posted emergency contacts on fridge, and sent a letter to his son with detailed current status since he'll be next in line for being responsible (no response yet). All things I should have done sooner.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thank you, friends. I bought one of those alarms you wear around your neck, but never wore it. We have an alarm I can push on the bedside table. Thinking about getting rid of that too. We have a son living with us, so it's a comfort to know that someone else is here if needed. 

And yes, all needed information is on the fridge. And it gets updated every so often, even if there are no changes. Emergency personnel will know the date it was updated.

My wife slept 13 hours last night, maybe an hour or so more than usual. And she has been sleeping at least 4 hours today, which is also a little more than normal. I just sent a text to doc to see if he wants to do anything, or wait to see how it plays out.

My little finger is worse, but she grabbed it 3 times this morning. Waiting to see if doc wants an x-ray.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more