Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hazmat readiness

Vent:

This morning we had another explosion in the bathroom, DW couldn't quite make it, floor walls, etc.  No need to explain any more than that to anyone here.

I went into action, quickly changing into my Hazmat outfit (grubby clothes at the ready), got my Hazmat Kit (square laundry basket filled with cleaning supplies & gloves).  First stabilize DW, then clean up just enough to allow me to get DW into the shower and clean.  Then into clean clothes.  Get DW situated and explain I will be busy for a few minutes cleaning up (I wish it were only a few minutes).  Start an emergency load of laundry. Start deep cleaning the bathroom. Laundry into the dryer.  Restock Hazmat Kit.  Change back into regular clothes.  Reassure DW that I'm back and everything is OK

Advice:

This phase of dementia snuck up on me.  I advise any of you whose LO is moving into Stage 6 to get your Hazmat gear ready.  You don't want to be trying to assemble when you finally need it.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That is excellent advice. Also make sure there is a change of clean clothes at the ready.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thanks for your good advice. Sorry you have too! I know it's  not funny but your profile  picture lent some humor for me.  I used to visit folks as a pastor and on one visit, the person I was visiting did the same thing. a trail all the way to the bath room. I helped the care giver clean up. A scripture came to mind while I was helping. It referred to washing the feet of the saints.  You give your DW dignity.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Happens to everyone.  The difference is, when I do something like that, I clean it up myself.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I had a taste of this experience (wrong choice of words) when DH and I went to visit family. He was so confused, even though we had stayed at my brother’s house countless times, that he missed the bathroom a few times. However, I came prepared…diapers, super pads, mattress protectors, extra clothes, cleaning supplies. I packed it in a big duffle bag and couldn’t imagine going through it again. However that is what will happen. 

My mother had a stroke last month. She’s coming along but will never fully recover. Her 100th birthday is coming up in May. We can’t have a big party but I must spend time with her. It may be my last chance. I’m getting used to poop patrol because my elderly dog has started leaving little pots de merde around my living room and dining room, the only rooms she chooses. I have to check every morning to see what the feces fairy has brought me overnight.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I think many of us had some training in poop patrol in the past with aging pets. It’s just that our pets were smaller than a human. 

My DH will usually tell me he is going to use the bathroom and generally does, but there have been a few times per week where he doesn’t seem to notice he is going, so has been wearing Depends or similar since mid December. We have pads for furniture and the bed, and have a mattress pad on our foam mattress bed but I’m not sure it would stand up to large amounts of urine. Can anyone recommend a Calif king size mattress pad that won’t leak? Maybe with a link to a website that carries the brand?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more