Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Husband's bones are protruding

Memory care had a very nice Valentine's dinner for 5 couples in a back dining room on Saturday evening.  Tables were beautifully set up with lots of roses/chocolates, sparkling juice and relaxing jazz music.  I enjoyed being with my husband and he seemed very pleased too.

The seating was set up with each of us across from our spouse, but as soon as dinner arrived, all of us had to move to our spouse's side as eating was troublesome.  One husband had to literally feed his wife.  My husband started using his hands and eventually got the hang of the fork only to lose it later.

I was rubbing his upper back and felt 4-5 bones protruding through his skin.  I was alarmed as looking at him, he's definitely thinner, but when I felt those bones became concerned.  He's probably in stage 6  from all I read and am wondering if anyone has witnessed weight loss and can advise if it's to be a concern or that it's part of the progression of the disease, meaning all is getting worse?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

It's muscle loss from lack of exercise.  That pad of muscle he had since adolescence has atrophied from disuse.  It happens to all of us if we live long enough,

I have it too, to some degree.  My right shoulder was injured in a fall years ago and became quite painful when I was about 70.  The x-rays revealed NO cartilage where a young man has a half inch, so the bones rub together.  I got rid of my heavier gardening tools and exercise with rubber bands instead of iron weights (sigh).  DW put her hand on my shoulder one day and was surprised to feel bones.  They had always been there but were covered by a thick deltoid muscle until now and she had never felt them.

Beneath the spreading chestnut tree

The village smithy stands.

The smith, a mighty man is he

With arms like rubber bands.

(Apologies to Longfellow)

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    The last time my husband got on the scale, he had lost 25 pounds within five years. He insists he hasn’t lost weight, yet even after I bought him smaller-sized clothes, and didn’t tell him, his pants still fall down if he doesn’t wear a belt. He finds it very funny. It’s yet another reason why  we stay home a lot. He complains about the belt and often loosens it, only to have the whole thing fall down, regardless of where we are and with whom. His doctors have expressed a little concern about weight loss but DH is not off the charts…yet.
  • Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    In order to determine whether there is cause for concern, you need to track his weight over time (his facility is doing that). When there is excessive weight loss, alarm bells should go off and Hospice may be consulted.
  • LA Kitty
    LA Kitty Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Dear Riajean, 
    The Valentines Dinner sounds incredible!  What a great idea.  You did not mention your DH's optimal weight nor his current weight.  Please share.  I don't want to alarm you but it has been my experience with my DH that he lost a substantial amount of weight over the last 3 years.  He went from 160 pounds to his lowest weight just under 113 pounds.  He also lost height from 5'6" to 5'5."
    Please take care and enjoy every moment with your DH.  Time is too short.

Best,

Kathy

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living