Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Headaches(3)

I have the worst headache. I find myself gritting my teeth all day. Somedays the stress just gets me, this happens a couple times a month When I have to leave my dw for a hour I rush around trying to get things done, hoping when get home it's not gonna be chaos. Went to a memory care today to visit a eldery friend, while the dw was visiting I went to admissions and checked on the prices entry level 3559 no Medicare so it's my cost, kinda tells me that's not gonna be a viable option. Same with AL.

Sorry I sound like a whiner so many are going thru so much more.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    You have a right to gripe. Can't afford to do it, and can't afford not to.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Not whining, just reporting.

Stress headaches are your body's way of telling you to take a break.  Stress will cause other problems as well if you ignore it, and you will like them even less.

I found it very helpful to talk to a lawyer who knows how to arrange Medicaid coverage for nursing homes in my State.  

• Neverends
    Neverends Member Posts: 72
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    I looked into a private nursing home for my.mother. Her monthly  income is over the limit for Medicaid. She could probably become eligible but it's a mountain of paperwork  and a total hassle that I am not willing to put myself thru. My father was in the military and  because she is a spouse of a veteran she is entitled to a VA  run nursing home. She is on the list as of now. She has no money or assets. Only her monthly  income.  Paperwork  was relatively  easy to fill out and she was accepted.
  • NylaBlue
    NylaBlue Member Posts: 65
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Is that $3,559 a month?
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    I’ve had a headache the past several days too and I’m sure it’s just the stress of being my OH’s caregiver. My sister lives here too and helps, but for a lot of things like toilet issues, I’m the one. MC homes are very expensive in California too and it isn’t something that he wants. We are looking into having a caregiver come to our home for 4 hours a couple times per week. It would at least give us a little break. Sometimes the repeated questions, hundreds of times within a couple hours drive me crazy and I get impatient and then feel bad about it. This is so difficult.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    NylaBlue wrote:
    Is that $3,559 a month?
    Yes that is a month. That is the starting point. I visited this nursing home and sang with the residents every week for around 8 years.i always said if I needed to go in a NH,this was the place I wanted to go. Never knew what it cost! It is a highly rated place. They have great staff here I used to know everybody by name including the director. Had to stop about 3 years ago. God has always taken care of us. I am thankful I am able to care for my Dw. Maybe I can get on the entertainment staff to help pay the cost? Nah I'd still do it for free, I loved doing it. Just not the same when it's  yours and it's  24/7 I don't know if that's high, it's the only placed I checked on! My headache is gone praise the Lord. 
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Toolbeltexpert, so glad your headache is gone. Praise the Lord is right! 

For years I have suffered with migraines, the meds I was taking helped but I could only take it every 12 hours. I was so very glad when my headaches had finally seemed to go away. Sadly the last 3 years they have come back, several times I have ended up in the hospital because of them, the last time I was in, I was in serious trouble and they sedated me for 2 days.  My neurologist asked me a lot of questions and told me these were not migraines but stress headaches. He gave me prescription for different meds, and thank God, I now know when the stress starts getting bad I can take it and not have to go in a quiet dark room! I can still take care of DH . Just saying, watch those headaches! Take care and God bless you! 

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Hi Toolbelt...your MC price is great...here in Orange County, CA it is around $8,000 starting price. I hope my DH does not have to go to MC...we do not qualify for Medicade.

• toolbeltexpert
    Cherjer wrote:

Hi Toolbelt...your MC price is great...here in Orange County, CA it is around $8,000 starting price. I hope my DH does not have to go to MC...we do not qualify for Medicade.

Wow! I am gonna check other places when I can get out. I will stay in Tennessee thou.  We also do not qualify for Medicaid either. 
  • toolbeltexpert
    ImMaggieMae wrote:
    I’ve had a headache the past several days too and I’m sure it’s just the stress of being my OH’s caregiver. My sister lives here too and helps, but for a lot of things like toilet issues, I’m the one. MC homes are very expensive in California too and it isn’t something that he wants. We are looking into having a caregiver come to our home for 4 hours a couple times per week. It would at least give us a little break. Sometimes the repeated questions, hundreds of times within a couple hours drive me crazy and I get impatient and then feel bad about it. This is so difficult.
    I gasped  when cherjer said 8000! Yes the repeated question tend to get to me every now and then too.  Hope you can get a great caregiver to give you the break you need, I know what you mean all our families are 1000 miles away and rarely does my DW sister call. I have offered to buy the plane ticket for 3 years just has one thing or another. I guess when her sister dies she be here. It is hard not getting  bitter, I have to fight those feelings. So many have such a hard time. Glad to be here with my new family, cause they really do understand.
  • toolbeltexpert
    Joydean wrote:

Toolbeltexpert, so glad your headache is gone. Praise the Lord is right! 

For years I have suffered with migraines, the meds I was taking helped but I could only take it every 12 hours. I was so very glad when my headaches had finally seemed to go away. Sadly the last 3 years they have come back, several times I have ended up in the hospital because of them, the last time I was in, I was in serious trouble and they sedated me for 2 days.  My neurologist asked me a lot of questions and told me these were not migraines but stress headaches. He gave me prescription for different meds, and thank God, I now know when the stress starts getting bad I can take it and not have to go in a quiet dark room! I can still take care of DH . Just saying, watch those headaches! Take care and God bless you! 

Joydean so sorry you have migranes. I understand that completely. The dark room is like a relief. I sometimes wake up in the morning and it hurts so bad I vomit. Then I go back to bed for about hour and it will ease off. I have come to understand those headaches happen when I get dehydrated.  You might think I am crazy and that's OK. Many years ago I asked God to help me and I felt like He guided me to drink more water. I try to drink a gallon of water a day, not including anything else. All I can say is praise God. Sometimes I will wake up in the morning and feel that headache starting and I drink a pint of water down and the headache goes away in 5 minutes.  But when I grit my teeth for 4 hrs the headache is only relived when I stop gritting my teeth. Last night I found chewing a couple of the Popsicles in the plastic tubes helped me stop. Hoping you have more headache  free days.  Thanks for listening.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more