Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

First try with the bidet

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
DW had a messy accident in her pants. I got her to sit on the toilet, and told her she had to get in the shower, but we'd use the bidet first to make it easier in the shower. When it came on she immediately stood up, with the nasty water running down her legs onto the floor. She didn't want to get back on the toilet, but I insisted. She still needed a shower, but it was quicker and easier. Maybe next time she will not be so surprised by the jet of water. Fingers crossed.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed1937 wrote:
    DW had a messy accident in her pants. I got her to sit on the toilet, and told her she had to get in the shower, but we'd use the bidet first to make it easier in the shower. When it came on she immediately stood up, with the nasty water running down her legs onto the floor. She didn't want to get back on the toilet, but I insisted. She still needed a shower, but it was quicker and easier. Maybe next time she will not be so surprised by the jet of water. Fingers crossed.
    I understand the jump, I had a chance when I was younger to try a bidet. The cold water shock, did you say your was heated? 
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

In the beginning, DH was not interested in using the bidet at all. I had plenty of time to take it for a test drive and I did. To ease his anxiety, I referred to the bidet as a butt washer. 

At the time, we were spending a lot of time in the shower after a messy bm to clean up his back side. When he finally agreed to give it a try, I talked him through what would happen, before it happened. He was still startled. Like your DW, his immediate reaction was to jump up. 

It definitely took coaxing on my part to put him at ease. I let him know it would feel "weird" at first. I told him it was important for him to stay seated. I reminded him it would take getting used to but would be so much better than taking a shower. Shame on me for expecting logic to work......but eventually it did.

Our bidet has heated water and a remote control. This has helped our situation.  I still prompt DH on what is about to happen. So far he has been accepting.

My current dilemma is getting him out of his wet pull-ups in the morning....alas that's a different problem.

Hang in there Mayor Ed. It will likely get better.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Yes, it has heated water and a heated seat. I tried it, and it does take getting used to. I just wish it had a little more powerful drying system.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more