Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Problem with pants?

My DH is having a problem with pants.  He says his hip hurts from the elastic on his underwear, from the jeans, from the sweatpants and now from his casual dress pants that he insisted would be better.  I've tried larger sizes, but they just fall down even with a belt.  I told him maybe he needs to see the dr but says no it's the pants.  He's on this kick "I need cotton".  He complains in the am then maybe once or twice during the day.  I gave him Tylenol today hoping he doesn't say anymore.  

Has anyone had this happen to their LO?  I'm not sure what to do or if there are pants out there that would feel better? Or if he should see the dr? 

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    My cousin lost some skin on his side, scraped off on concrete in a bicycle-related incident.  He bought some overalls, and liked them so much he wore them for the rest of his life.  Maybe try a pair of suspenders?  They'll hold his baggy pants up and they'll put no pressure on his hip.
  • Chammer
    Chammer Member Posts: 140
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Just some thoughts - Could he have a nerve issue there?  Shingles?  A low back issue that radiates to the hip?
  • RobertsBrown
    RobertsBrown Member Posts: 143
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    If you DH is wearing elastic underwear at night, it will cause an uncomfortable pressure point that will carry through for the whole next day, and feels like pants fitting wrong.  Try no underwear, loose underwear, or if needed for wetness, a wide-band absorbent product.  This gets worse as we get older.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Another thought is that maybe he has some pain in that general area that is completely unrelated to his elastic waist bands that needs to be checked out.

Anecdote follows:

Just before my dad was diagnosed, already in the middle stages of dementia, he took a fall after missing a curb. My mom, who has scoliosis and osteoporosis stepped out of the way as he went down to avoid further damage to her spine. Dad, with the characteristic lack of empathy that is part of the disease for many, was beyond angry that she did not break or soften his fall allowing him to get fairly bruised. He recalled this incident and mom's "selfishness" at allowing him to be hurt. He complained bitterly about his "broken" ribs (they were not, he was checked out) to all who would listen.

A few months after this, he had a psychotic episode that led to a hospitalization and rehab after being diagnosed. We (mom and myself) decided to move my parents closer to me which meant I had to assemble a new medical team for them from scratch. When dad was released after 7 weeks in rehab, we took him to the new PCP where he complained again about his broken ribs. The PCP ordered another xray of the ribs and the next day I read the report on the patient portal. Long story short, dad had had his gallbladder removed during an acute infection decades ago and the surgeon left quite a bit of tissue behind which was causing him the pain. Since his bout with gallbladder, he'd always eaten a healthy Mediterranean diet until the mid-stages of dementia when his palate changed, and he started eating a lot of fried and greasy foods. We put him back on an appropriate diet and things improved. 

Another thought is that perhaps he's developed a sensitivity to latex. I have an aunt who has to be super careful about her choice of undergarments. These are some (expensive) options for men-

Cottonique 7389946Latex Free Organic Cotton Loose Boxer Short M17713 - Cottonique Boxers (hisroom.com)

HB
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

Thanks for the responses.  Lots to look into.  He did have a fall in November and broke 2 ribs on the same side.  The ribs have healed, and he hasn't said anything about them for a few weeks.  He has complained that his lower back is bothering him.  Maybe I should have him checked if I can get him to the dr.  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more