Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

About hospice

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I received this email this morning, and th0ught it might be an introduction for some of you.

Careblazers <[email protected]>
To:Ed
Tue, Feb 15 at 11:32 AM

If you are caring for someone with dementia, then it's a good idea to learn about hospice care.

I want you to know about hospice care and how helpful they can be BEFORE your loved one's needs it because most people wait way too long to introduce hospice and that's exactly why hospice has been associated with a quick death. It doesn't have to be that way.

Many people don't ask about hospice because they worry it's a sign they are "giving up" on their loved one.

The truth is, hospice care is the opposite of giving up and can be one of the most helpful and supportive resources for people with dementia and their families.

• Hospice care doesn't mean the person is days or weeks from dying.
  • Hospice doesn't mean you are giving up.
  • Hospice doesn't mean you have to be in a hospital or nursing home.
  • Hospice doesn't mean the person can't take any medications or receive treatment.

In this past Sunday's video, I go over 8 myths of hospice care and share with you just how helpful it can be.

To watch the video click HERE.

I hope it helps you and I hope you can be encouraged by the many comments from people who shared their personal experience with hospice.

, Dr. Natali

P.S. I'm hosting my free behavior class again this week. I go over the 3 step roadmap to successfully responding to challenging dementia behaviors. Save your spot HERE.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more