Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Some basic caregiver 101 stuff

I would like to share a few things I have learned that were not obvious.

First is wet wipes, or flushable wipes.  This seemed like a real good idea when I read about it here, certainly more convenient than cotton towels that need washing.  My gal complained that she hated them, and got really upset about their use.  She finally said 'they hurt', which I thought was maybe my lack of skill.  Then I thought to try them myself, and by gosh they do hurt.  The ones I bought had some astringent or something, and they did sting my tender parts.

The same concept applied to the first absorbent underwear we tried.  She complained that they were uncomfortable, and rather than trying to get an explanation, I just tried a pair myself, and discovered how darn* uncomfortable they are.

Overall point:  Try products you are using on the person you are caring for on yourself.  If you don't like it, neither will they.

Second learning:  My friend chlorine.  I have done laundry since I was a teenager, and I know my stuff, but I have never lived with so much laundry that had contact with poop.  I assume you wash it, you rinse it, and it's clean.  Not the whole truth.  That poop smell is stronger then detergent, but hand washed with a little detergent and Clorox and you are good to go.  I can generally get my hand towels better than new.  I add Clorox to every load now, but just a dash for the biocide qualities it brings.

Better to get a reputation for smelling like a swimming pool than the house on Poo corner.

Comments

• Kenzie56
    Kenzie56 Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions
    Thank you so much - these are great tips!!!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    When we share things like this, it's amazing how many people we might help. Thank you! Who would have thought to try things on? They're supposed to be comfortable.
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Thanks for the tips! Chlorine is now my new best defense too.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more