Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Wants to leave(1)

My DH is now afraid of our beautiful, comfortable home because he has hallucinations and delusions about people being in our yard and our home.  It’s probably his main fear now, and he says he wants to get the f out of here several times a day.  I tell him it’s our home and we are safe, and we aren’t going to move. I am doing everything in my power to support and take care of him.  I tell him everything is fine, but I am getting tired of him constantly saying he wants to leave.  He has no idea how much easier my life would be if he was not here.

Comments

• Camoruso
    Camoruso Member Posts: 14
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    Yep, I get that every day numerous times! Drives me crazy. When I get tired of it I say "OK, bye!" It doesn't help but nothing does.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Julie, is your husband on any antipsychotic medications?  Meds can sometimes make the hallucinations and delusions go away, and make life better for both of you.
  • Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hello Julie, you should talk to his neurologist about anti-delusional medications.  My DW takes low doses of Seroquel twice a day.  They eliminated the delusions.  

You are probably close if not already at the point of no more driving.  Again this should be discussed with his neurologist.  

If you do not have a neurologist, you should seek an appointment as soon as possible.  It is usually difficult to get into see one on short notice.  He can eliminate other causes of the confusion.  Good luck, Rick

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Julie, I went through something similar with DW 2 years ago except she believed that the people were there to hurt or kill us. The only thing I could do to calm here down was take her for a ride & since it was winter and the early days of Covid all we could do was drive around. This solution was not sustainable because she would want to leave all times of day and night and I was getting exhausted. I spoke with her neurologist and she prescribed Seroquil to deal with the delusions, it worked miracles. It took 3 to 4 weeks for the medication to start to work but the delusions & fears subsided, overtime we need to tweet the dosage as I noticed her agitation increasing. Another thing I learned during this period was that once recognition of the home has gone that it was a fools errand to try to convince DW that it was our home. I started referring to it as MY house if she asked, she was fine with that answer but saying it was our home just made her upset.
  • Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I was stunned to read your last line; did not reply until time had passed. 

Indeed, all of us would have easier lives if our loved ones with dementia were not around. 

I do understand that this statement came from frustration. 

Definitely get him on some antipsychotic meds. 

Also, read Understanding the Dementia Experience from Google. Imagine you were he. 

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    I attended an online ALZ support group for the second time today. One of the stories told was that a PWD was complaining of noises outside. Finally, the spouse told her that the noises were from the security guards that he had hired to protect them. It worked for her and she never complained of the noises again. Maybe a similar fiblet would help your DH?
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care