Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

At the dentist

We had a small win this week.

My DW hasn’t been to the dentist in over two years, between Covid and her general progression.  She always took excellent care of her dental health, but with AD she actively dislikes brushing her teeth and does not do it well.  I noticed some receding of her gums and was concerned.

We have a great dentist whom we’ve been seeing for better than 20 years.  I talked to him about bringing my DW in, knowing that she might not tolerate an examination and cleaning, and he assured me that he has worked on AD patients, so I decided to give it a try.

He was absolutely terrific—so gentle and so patient with my DW, I was touched.  Because he was so skillful, he was able to complete the examination and perform a (much modified) cleaning.  And her teeth are in reasonably good shape, all things considered.
I was really pleased with this outcome.  Of course, the dental gods didn’t want me to take too much of a boastful victory lap, so that evening my DW refused to brush her teeth or let me do it for her.   

Still, a win is a win, right?

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Jeff, Still a win for sure. I need to make a dentist appointment for DW, thanks for reminding me.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    A win? Absolutely! Glad it went well for both of you. If your dentist decides ro relocate, tell him you know of a nice town in NW Indiana.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more