Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Lost wallet

I guess I knew it was only a matter of time before DH lost/hid his wallet. I had just begun taking his credit/debit cards and other essentials like the Medicare, VA, and health insurance cards one or two at a time so they wouldn't be missed. Unfortunately, the clock ran out on me and 3 weeks ago the wallet just vanished. I searched this house from top to bottom looking for it and had concluded that (somehow) the wallet had been thrown away. Today, DH was going through another one of his obsessive seeking and sorting routines and emerged from our bedroom a couple of hours later with his wallet. I still don't know where he had it hidden (he couldn't tell me) or how in the world he had a momentary flash of clarity in order to find it. Perhaps it's a simple case of a "blind pig finding a truffel." Whatever...it's now safely in my hands and will be replaced with a new wallet containing every customer loyalty card I can find around here to make it nice and fat. Another lesson learned the hard way.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    We're having the same issues with "the purse," which is of course bigger than a wallet.  It ends up in the oddest places, mostly in various hampers in her closet.  Like you, I have confiscated all the important cards and have them in my wallet now.  She hasn't missed them or asked for them back.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    This is exactly why I like this forum. DW has started hiding her pocket book and has had a few times she couldn't find it.  I need to get those cards out. The credit cards have been gone for several years, I just never thought about the Medicare or SS. I worry what if something happened to me. Her sister is a 1000 miles away. She knows the location of all the other stuff. Her sisters  is on the Dpoa if something happens  to me. I got that done 2 years ago. I never would have thought about a hamper.  Jmlaru that must have been very frustrating and anxious  I can't  imagine that. You must be so relieved I know I would.  So glad for you and so sad you at the same time.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    The ever disappearing purse was a big issue a few years back.  DW would stash it who knows where and then the hunt would begin.  We couldn’t go out until it was found.  

There’s not a lot positive to say about disease progression, but it does result in some issues going away.  DW no longer remembers or wants her purse when she goes out.  

Of course, new problems replace old ones, but it’s always good to shed some concerns!

• Newbernian
    Newbernian Member Posts: 34
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

My husband is still able to function independently a lot of the time.  One big hiccup came when he couldn't find his glasses.  He looked for days.  He doesn't need them for much.  Mostly to watch TV.  I looked online and found a stick on GPS locator.  It is made by a company called Orbit.  There may be other things out there.  I don't remember the website.  But the 1st site had it listed for $70.  The next site had it available for $35.  You need a smartphone to use this feature.  It sticks on the outer rim of his glasses.  Hardly notice it. It must be charged periodically.  Charger comes with it.  Then download the App on your smartphone.  The device must be charged to set-up.  You lay the glasses near the phone and press find the glassfinder on the Orbit app.  They have other products like a flat tile to stick in a wallet & keyfinder.  The glasses are the only thing we need so far.  It sets up like a bluetooth would.  Now it could be complicated but the easy thing is if glasses are lost usually in the house or perimeter of the house there is a button to push and his glasses make a sound.  It also has a feature that if you are disconnected by 100ft from the object it will make a noise. Or it will show on a map on your smartphone the last place item was left.  I turn the feature off on my phone after set-up.  I don't need to know where his glasses are all the time nor when I leave the house have my GPS on my smartphone turned on.  I am a very private person.  Every couple of weeks, I will plug glasses onto charger and will turn on app on smartphone for a "systems check".  It has worked so far.  Another good thing about this feature, glasses have not been lost once since I bought and set-up gizmo,

As I mentioned there are other devices to put on keys or purses.  I will probably get some for myself, because I am usually worse than he is about putting something down and forgetting where I left it.  I've told DH, "We are in a race over whose mind quits first but I hope I win".  May sound cruel but we are both well aware of what is happening and spend a lot of time talking about it.  It has not been a good marriage, the worse keeps getting worse but this is life.

If anyone has questions about device or set-up feel free to connect with me and I will offer whatever assistance I can.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more