Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hospital Bed for Husband

Would anyone know resources of how I can get a hospital bed for my husband? He has early onset Alz. I'm seeing a consistent trend of him not being able to put his feet on the floor to stand and get out of the bed in the morning without 2 people. We were managing by me moving his lower body, and then him pulling on my arm to raise his upper body. He is no longer doing that. 235 lbs and I just can't lift. Hoping getting a hospital bed that would raise his upper body would help me to shift him. Thank you for any advice based on your experience.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Selena, three things come to mind:  one is Hospice, who will usually provide a hospital bed; the other is that many communities will have a lending service for durable medical equipment, you might have to look around for that.  A third thing is that his doc may be able to order it.  I'm sure there are Medicare rules regarding when they are covered, but it can't hurt to ask.  Good luck.  You can call yourself for a hospice evaluation, by the way, that doesn't require a doctor's order.  If he's having trouble walking, he may well qualify.
  • Selena627
    Selena627 Member Posts: 12
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Thank you so much for this advice. Truly appreciate it.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    If neither option pans out for you, you can often find hospital beds on Criagslist starting at $100 and up.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more