Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Another glasses thread

I didn't want to add my problems to Markus's thread. 

I did share on his thread that I took DH for an eye exam last summer, thinking that it might be our last chance. He almost didn't make it through the exam, But the wonderful eye doctor was able to complete an exam using pictures and making assumptions based on his last several exams. We left with a new pair of glasses. Which DH really doesn't like.

We still had his old pair, which he's been wearing. No other backups. Yesterday DH fell asleep for about 3 minutes. He woke suddenly - I'm thinking he was dreaming - and grabbed his glasses and twisted them until they broke. I spent the next 30 minutes talking him down.

So, the old frames are now ruined. The lenses were already getting scratched, so into the trash the glasses went. That leaves us with just the new glasses, that he's not all that fond of. But the good news is that we did that exam last summer and I can easily get new glasses! DH has progressed to the point now that the exam would have been impossible at our normal eye doctor. 

Another win for me. It's funny what I now consider wins.

Comments

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I gave up on eye exams and glasses for DH several years ago; it seems as though his vision isn’t so bad but his perception is gone.  His most recent pair of glasses (from around 2015) is sitting in a bureau drawer here at home.  Several weeks ago, it was the “100th day” of school; kids could dress up as 100 year olds.  The 7 year old wore pop’s glasses on the end of her nose along with some additional grammy accessories; she was a hit at the bus stop.  Hang on to those old eyeglasses; they can come in handy.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Beachfan, I love that the glasses got a new life!

I won't order a new pair until I see if I can get him to wear the ones we already have. He's already started taking his glasses off and leaving them places, so I'm not sure they're doing much for him anymore. He always used to wear them, but I also know they're not a super strong RX.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more