Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I see dementia in Kafka’s The Metamorphosis

Out of concern for losing my own brain function, I try and challenge myself. One thing I do is re-read literature I read in another era. Times change, and so do I, and I perceive different things in the next go-around.

I was surprised at how many parallels I could draw between Gregor in The Metamorphosis and a dementia patient.

He wakes up and cannot navigate his own body, cannot communicate, loses his ability to be the breadwinner for his family, loses his identity and purpose, becomes a parasite to his family, is alienated from them and neglected by them.  Finally he dies (I think of a broken heart) when they all decide that he is not Gregor and quit pretending he is. 

Even when my husband was intubated and on a feeding tube after an aneurysm, I always  believed he was “in there.” Now, as he progresses in dementia, I will again always hold the belief that his core being is glowing inside, and I will honor that. Poor bug!

I have to move on to something lighter. I was completely struck at how this story affected me.

Comments

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I am constantly finding new ways to exercise my brain, ending up like DH has become my biggest fear.  I do crossword puzzles, kakuro, sudoku, jigsaw puzzles, 3-D matching, just about anything I can find to do.  

I am going to make sure my brain functions to the best of its ability for as long as possible!!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Lynne I haven't thought about Gregor in a long time. Such an odd book, but yes I certainly see the parallels. You could definitely call certain parts of caregiving Kafkaesque!
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Strange coincidence. Just yesterday, I listen a radio program about Kafka . I didn’t read any book from Kafka. You make me curious.

I still have a big pile of books to read, but I'm putting metamorphosis on my list 

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276

CStrope, indeed, I do some of the same things and am terrified about losing my brain. In another world, I would still be working. I am using Duolingo to brush up on my French (I fantasize about teaching English abroad one day). I also do brain games on Lumosity, am learning chess playing against a computer, and subscribed to MasterClass. 

Unless my HWD is sleeping, he expects me to keep him entertained since he cannot initiate activities. He gets more than perturbed when I spend time on my iPad.

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276

Hi French,

I picked up Kafka again because there is a really challenging author, one of whose stories was made into a movie which was nominated for four Oscars. His name is Haruki Murakami. He has a short list of “must reads” and one of Kafka’s stories was on it.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Lynne D,

Please be careful. Trying to understand Kafka can lead to dementia.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I pulled up a list of 5....they seem so different.

As an aside...I work on geneology...mine as well as friends....history/geography/online research...it really uses the brain

• Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Ah yes, I remember reading  The Metamorphosis  in college.  

Another story I've thought about is Peter Bischel's "Ein Tisch ist ein Tisch" (A Table is a Table).  The old man is so lonely and bored that he begins to rename things.  For example, a table might now be a rug.  He has such fun creating his new language but sadly forgets his own...and becomes even more isolated because people now cannot understand him.  

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I always knew The Metamorphosis was metaphor for something, but I was too young to know for what.  I have learned something today.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I studied Kafka in uni and loved his stories. The metamorphosis was one of my favourites. The Trial is also a great read because highlights the ridiculous red tape and time wasting dealings with authority. Sort of like dealing with Alzheimer’s as well, the man protests his innocence but to no avail, sort of the kind of hopelessness one feels in dealing with the disease. 

I read in French all the time, it is a way to keep my mind sharp. I also work part time and that also helps. I think Kafka knew far more than he let on.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more