Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

apps that can entertain

I'm no longer looking for a "fix" for my DW.  I'm told the facility she is in used to have quite a few "activities" from the outside but with Covid there is almost NO stimulation provided. Mostly the residents sit around in wheelchairs and stare blankly at game shows on TV in the common area. When my beloved is lucid enough to verbalize appropriately, she always complains "I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing" or "There is nothing to do!" She's right, there isn't. I can't fix the facility, but I was hoping to find options for my DW to provide entertainment, not necessarily therapy. Has anyone had their PWD enjoy apps on a tablet? She lost the ability to do her yarn crafts long before I had to place her, but up until the time she was admitted she played a variety of games on her laptop.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Hi Markus. This isn't an app, but you might see something here that looks promising. https://www.amazon.com/Failure-Free-Activities-Alzheimers-Patient/dp/0440506050  
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Markus this is a sad issue right now.  I call my poor aunt and she says I’m bored.  She even gets to go out every other Friday to have hair done and get a little bite to eat.  Many never get to leave as unable even if someone was willing.  Worried a little about my aunt going out.  She is 91, fully vaccinated and so far has done well though.  It gives her a little something to look forward to.  The year of no vaccine and not getting out at all really took a toll on her as it has many I’m sure.  Markus you are always trying to help your wife and care.
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

The free jigsaw puzzle app that I do on my iPad allows you to select the number of pieces for any given puzzle. It starts at 12 pieces. And the puzzle pieces come in the correct orientation so you don’t have to turn it clockwise or counterclockwise to see how it might fit in. I have no idea if PWD can do jigsaw puzzles with the visual issues some have.  Just a thought. It’s free but you do have to watch ads. I don’t know if that’s a problem for your DW.

Actually, a better idea might be videos on YouTube. I don’t do much on Facebook but I get videos of baby elephants which I love to watch. Or any other kinds of baby animals. But you may need to find them for her.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • markus8174
    markus8174 Member Posts: 76
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    As I'm finding out, almost no game app designer has ever put out an app just to entertain persons suffering with dementia. Everything I've found is designed to "stimulate" or "challenge" the PWD to slow their progression or, worse yet, to get them better. I'm past all that. I just want something that a PWD can play that can be geared to their current abilities and is engaging and fun. Candy Crush with much fewer pieces, balloon popping game that doesn't require the eye and skill of a pool shark to bank a "shot" off 2 or 3 bumpers or the hand steadiness of a brain surgeon, matching games that aren't possible for the PWD or are prompted by silly cartoon characters, hidden object games where the fun as well as the object is well hidden.  I was a teen when "Pong" came out. I lived through 8-bit processers and graphics and the early "frogger" and "breakout" style games. Surely someone has developed games that are fun, but simple enough for a PWD, without thinking the player must be a great fan or Daniel Tiger or Dora the Explorer. I'll keep looking, but I'm beginning to give up hope.
  • PlentyQuiet
    PlentyQuiet Member Posts: 88
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Oh my, I haven't thought about Pong in years! That brings back memories of the middle school computer lab. 

I agree it may be challenging to find games that fit what you need, I'll be interested to see what others suggest. 

Can you find a list of YouTube videos on topic she may find interesting? Then it can be a daily activity that perhaps the facility staff can help with. A daily learning time that they can help start the video for? There are videos on people, places, history, cooking, crafts, animals and travel just to name a few. 

If the facility does not have structured activities (I really hate Covid) it may be a way to get something into her daily routine. 

• Fairyland
    Fairyland Member Posts: 178
    100 Comments First Anniversary

I’m about to take delivery of a “Grandpad”, mainly this is in hope it will replace the old iPad and iPhone for my mom, mainly so she can FaceTime the family for a while longer without all those pesky pop ups to update the thing, and scam calls (she’s never been techie anyway and not progressing downhill at all for over a year). This does have some simple games I believe. 

It sits on a stand to charge and view. I will report back if I get a chance, maybe on a new thread.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more