Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Question for the medical people here

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
One week ago today my wife fell, and took me with her. I injured my little finger, but did not get x-rays. I kept it taped to the next finger, and decided to take the tape off today. Finger is still a little sore, and discolored a little, but really feels pretty good. When I washed my hands today, I noticed that my little finger is noticeably colder than the rest. I feel like it's healing alright, but wonder if the cold finger indicates a possible problem. I don't want to go to the doctor unless necessary. Wait and see?

Comments

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Ed:  press down on the nail beds of several fingers and note how quickly they turn pink again when you stop pressing. Now do the same to the injured finger. Does it turn pink again just as quickly?  If yes, no worries.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Agree with Marta Ed.  More likely that a fall like that might cause nerve damage than circulatory damage I think, and nerve injury can take a long time to heal. Could certainly make it feel cool though. I'd just keep an eye on it.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Ditto, dear Ed; but if there is a problem as Marta has outlined, please do not delay being seen by the doctor.  How are you and your finger doing today? 

J.

• Ed1937
    Marta and M1, thank you for the replies. I didn't think it was too much of a problem. I just don't ever remember seeing anything like that before.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Ed there's a fairly common condition called Raynaud's disease/syndrome, where temperature changes can trigger spasm in the blood vessels in the digits.  My partner has it, and if her hands get cold or she holds something cold (water can also be a trigger), multiple fingertips will turn white, then sometimes blue or red.  Most people know if they have it, though, and I wouldn't expect it to 1) show up in your eighties if you haven't had it before; or 2) affect just the one finger.
  • Ed1937
    Thanks, M1. I actually read a little about that yesterday. With all the different things there are that affect people, I know I'm incredibly lucky with my own health. At 57 years of age, I had a stroke, but fully recovered. Other than that I can't complain about the other hiccups we all have in life.
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Ed, your question reminds me of something that happened years ago. One evening I noticed my left leg was much colder than my right leg, something that had never happend before (that I was aware of). Out of mild curiosity I called the ask-a-nurse line. Much to my surprise she told me to go to the ER to be safe.

It was a Saturday night. I wished later I hadn't acted on her opinion because, after driving all the way into the city (lived in the boondocks), soon I was sitting in ER for hours. The doctor who checked me out, in the end told me my leg was fine; I had no blood clot (first suspected cause in my case).

He asked me if I'd bumped my leg recently, however, I had no recall of anything. Evidently any trauma, little or big, can cause such a thing to our limbs. In my case it was temporary of course. I don't remember how long it took to return to normal, but I still have two legs and they work like usual; no reoccurence or problem since.

Hope your finger soon heals. Stay safe and have no more falls. Wishing you ease and relief....

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Hi Ed, I am not dr in medecine but I have Reynaud syndrome sine I was 16 years old and it is worse and worse. Now, I even have white finger and toes in summer, after lunch and diner, after having run… I had 3 relief periods : when I was pregnant !

My mother never had it before she injured one of her fingers. Now she sometimes has it, just to this finger. 

There is nothing to do. I imagine that it will disappear when your finger will be better. 

• Ed1937
    Thanks for the added comments. I'm pretty sure it will be fine because I'm now able to use the finger a little. Still swelling at the knuckle at the bottom of the finger, but I'm able, with a little effort, to close my hand completely now. Still sore, but I can handle that.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hi Ed, just checking in to see how your finger is doing.

J.

• Ed1937
    Thank you, Jo. I think it's doing pretty well. Yesterday I took the tape off. Slept with it off, but woke up this morning with a little more swelling, and pretty tender. Now it's taped up again. It might take more time to heal. Still pretty discolored. Thanks for your concern.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more