Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A setback in MC, then a fast recovery

billS
billS Member Posts: 180
Third Anniversary 100 Comments

As I've posted in recent weeks my wife is now in memory care and has adjusted and accepted it very well, accepting care, socializing with her fellow residents and staff, and smiling a lot. Then last week I got a call at 1:30 in the morning saying she had fallen and was being taken to the hospital. I rushed to the hospital to find her with a gash on the head and a painful hip. You guessed it, she had a hip fracture and was in a que for surgery. After a torturous eight hours of telling her, "No, you can't get up," "No, do not pull the IV out of your arm," "No, we can't go home," she was finally rolled into surgery and had a very straightforward and successful hip repair. I stayed in her hospital room the next two nights and endured the same torment of trying to keep her in bed, keep her from tearing off her bandages and pulling out her IV. 

I showed up at the hospital on the third evening expecting to stay with her another night but was told she was ready to be discharged. I had my doubts whether she was ready to go back to MC but the nurses said she was, so off we went, arriving back at the facility around midnight. She could barely walk and I had to lift her legs up into her bed. I went home to sleep, thinking I should have insisted she stay in the hospital another day or two. But when I went to visit her the next morning she was neatly dressed and groomed, sitting with her buddies at the breakfast table and smiling. After breakfast I found she was able to lift herself out of her chair and use a walker to move about taking very small steps. Then the next morning her walking was almost back to normal. I am amazed at her quick recovery and just hope she does not fall again anytime soon. Thankfully the MC staff are very attentive and have her under close watch. But of course there are no guarantees. 

Comments

• Tfreedz
    Tfreedz Member Posts: 138
    100 Comments First Anniversary

Bill, that must have been both scary and frustrating! 

I am so very happy for you that she seems to be recovering quickly and that she is being so well cared for at the facility. Just imagine how difficult this would have been if you were still caring for her at home. 

Praying for speedy healing and no more falls.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    This is a great example of how MC does not mean you are no longer a caretaker.  Your wife is lucky to have you, Bill.
  • billS
    Stuck in the middle wrote:
    This is a great example of how MC does not mean you are no longer a caretaker.  Your wife is lucky to have you, Bill.

Yes, exactly. I am no longer burdened with the impossible task of caring for her at home, now my responsibility is to monitor the care she is receiving and assist the MC staff in any way I can to ensure she gets the best care. We are both much better off. And I could not be more pleased with the MC staff who actively invite participation and suggestions from the families of residents.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Bill, your wife is getting excellent care in MC. That must be very comforting.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    i know that must have been terribly stressful Bill. Glad she is rebounding so quickly, will keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Bill will relate a story.  My grandma was in NH, she had not been responding to us for awhile.  Got pneumonia, they sent her to hospital.  She had an IV, drawing blood etc.  Doubt if she understood what was going on.  She quit eating.  They approached family about a feeding tube. Family chose not to do that.  When she went back to NH she ate for them.  Think even though she was not responding to us she felt safe there and it was familiar.  Maybe your wife now sees it as her safe place.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Dear Bill, I am sorry for what happened, but also delighted for both your wife and you at how well she is doing, how fast she is recovering and how she continues to find the care facility her safe, secure, and happy place that has added much to her quality of life.

It is true as mentioned, caregiving, though in a different form, does not stop when a LO is admitted to care outside the home.  You rose to the occasion mightily and went beyond the usual to ensure your wife was safe and doing well so she could recover as best could be.  You have "done good," Bill.  Really, really good.  

Let us know how you and she are doing, may it all continue on in a very positive way.

J.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Bill, what a great result from a really bad fall. I'm glad she was able to recover so quickly. That's fantastic!
  • billS
    Thank you all for your support. It really is apparent to me that both my wife and I are much better off now. She has the constant social interaction I could not provide, and is fussed over by caring, patient staff who only have to work eight hour shifts. She gets to do little art projects, group exercises, and just be with multiple people all day. Meanwhile I can enjoy peace and quiet, do work and hobbies and best of all get solid sleep. My stress level is just about down to nothing.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more