Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Wife in MC Has Changed

Hi All.  My wife went into MC last summer.  I have seen her most every week - and special days - since.  She has gotten steadily worse mentally and has been getting slower physically.  She is at a point now whereas: 1) She does not smile anymore, 2) She is stooped, 3) She moves VERY slow and needs help walking, 4) Her skin looks pallid and bluish and is scaly with red marks everywhere, 5) Her ankles are swollen, and, 6) She slumps over all the time and looks like she is sleeping but responds if spoken to.  My question is, has anyone had this experience?  I am not sure if this is signs of the end or just commonplace.   The difference in her (mental and physical) is unbelievable after just 6 months (she cannot even put together a sentence anymore).  Again, the decline is unbelievable.   Would appreciate any input any of yall might have that may be familiar with these items.  TIA.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Virgil I am so sorry to hear it, have been wondering how you were. Probably hard to know if it's natural progression or if there's something else going on. What do the folks at the facility think?
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Virgil will relate a similar experience.  My grandmother was in a facility.  She developed pneumonia and was transferred to hospital.  She had no clue what was happening, sure many uncomfortable things happening such as IV etc..  She quit eating then family was approached about a feeding tube,  thank goodness they said no, my grandma was no longer verbal or reactive with us.   As soon as she got back to NH she started eating again.  Think even though she no longer reacted with us it was still familiar and safe.  Maybe your wife is feeling that way too.
  • Virgil61
    Virgil61 Member Posts: 47
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    HI - Thanks.  I'm not sure yet - will be following up with them and probably her doc after seeing her this way yesterday.   I may wait to see how she is later this week.  I just posted here asking if anyone had experience with some of the things I mentioned (especially the slumped over thing - that seems odd).  Hope you are well and that the week is good.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

There are some postural changes that come with some forms of dementia--look up Pisa Syndrome--(as in Leaning Tower of)--my SIL had it with Lewy Body Dementia.  Stroke would be another consideration unfortunately.  But it would be unusual for a stroke to affect posture alone without affecting other things like one-sided arm or leg weakness, facial droop, etc.  

Let us know how she does.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

My wife developed severe psychosis in 6 months living at home with me

This is a horrible disease.  

Sick people get worse wherever they are.
      My wife was a physician, Ive taught health are risk management

there are well known institutional aggravations, like bed sores and some infections.

I  pay an extra caretaker to walk with DW (to avoid falls) and hand feed her. 

There is still a steady decline

Pisa syndrome can be medication related  

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

You are being a very good advocate for your dear wife, I can well understand how uneasy these changes are making you feel.

That her skin is bluish and her ankles are swollen certainly is concerning.  It does appear from what you have written, that she needs to be seen by her physician.  Has she ever had cardiac and/or lung/breathing problems or severe allergies in her health history?

Has she had any new medications prescribed recently that she has not taken before?

If there is not a doctor to see her at the care facility that you feel confident with, she can be seen in the ER setting; a non-emergency ambulance transport can get her there with you following so you can be with her to discuss matters with the physician and hear first hand what the issues may or may not be.  I personally would not depend upon the NH staff to give me the information second hand.

Dementia does indeed cause all sorts of changes; many of those you mention could be the effect of her dementia, but with the skin having a bluish tinge with swollen ankles, there could be something else going on that is somewhat contributing to some of the other changes.  

Let us know how she is doing and how you are.  We certainly will be thinking of both of you.

J.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Virgil, I'm sorry to hear of the setbacks. Hopefully they can identify something that is causing some of these problems. Keep us informed. We're here for you.
  • LeBret
    LeBret Member Posts: 11
    First Comment First Anniversary
    My wife is getting close to having some of the symptoms you describe. I still have her at home because she still knows who I am. But I'm thinking it won't be too long until I'll have to put her in MC. That said, it sounds as though your wife is having what possibly could be a heart/lung issue of some type [bluish color/edema].  A visit to the Doctor's may be in order?
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

Virgil,

I'd also have a look at the medical records so that you know what medications she is being given and at what doses.  Also the medical records will document other issues that you should be aware of.  My experience with my Dad was that you only get the FULL picture when you read the medical records.

Blessings,

Jamie

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living