Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Problems w/Payment for Day Care from the VA?

Marp
Marp Member Posts: 170
Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I'm not a spouse caregiver (care for my sister), but I thought this issue with the VA would be of interest to spousal caregivers:

For about 8 months, my sister has been receiving adult day care services paid for by the VA.  Apparently, there has been a problem for at least a couple of years with the authorization numbers the VA assigns when they approve a veteran for these services in that the numbers don't work in the billing system.  That's what I've been told anyway. 

The VA contracted day cares in my congressional district met with our congressman and he has, apparently, gotten on the horn because in December, the VA shut down processing all these authorizations.

What does this mean to veterans?  Possibly confusion over whether the care they are currently receiving will be paid by the VA.  I think this is only an issue if the veteran is newly set up with day care services or if the veteran's case is up for annual/bi-annual review and needs re-authorization.   If a veteran is receiving day care services on an authorization that was processed before the shut down, they might be okay until their case comes up for review and the need for re-authorization.

From what I was told this past week, this is a nationwide problem which means many veterans could be impacted in the coming months.

Has anyone else encountered this problem or know anything about it?

Comments

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney