Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

“Lost” car key

My DH loves his car key because he can press the button which automatically opens the door for us. It gives him a sense of control especially if he can open the door before I can use my key to open it. But alas, he had to “loose” his key after I heard a news segment stating that people who wander are apt to take off in the car because they “think” they can still drive. What a wake up call for me. DH hasn’t wandered yet but a week ago he told me he is going to get his drivers license back. He hasn’t driven in 4 years but the desire is still there. 

On the evening of a particularly busy day, I removed his car key from his jeans pocket after he went to sleep. Fortunately there is only one other key on that ring (storage locker key and I have a duplicate). The key to our apartment and mailbox are on a different ring. The next morning DH informed me he lost his car key. We reviewed his previous days activities for where it could possibly be. He searched his coat pockets, his lazy boy chair, under the bed and the car to no avail. I felt guilty. 

The next challenge was where to hide his key in case he went snooping. For now it is in the bottom compartment of a shoe bag in a shoe I seldom wear. He doesn’t go in my closet yet and being 6’4” tall almost never looks for anything down low. I feel sad about allowing him to think he lost the key, but I will get over it and so will he.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Good move Whyzit.  Don't feel guilty.  I've gotten much better at therapeutic fiblets.  Had to be gone for a few hours last weekend; I discovered the battery on the farm pickup was dead, and deliberately didn't fix it/mention it lest she try to take off while I was out (she didn't).  Between hiding keys, throwing away mail/hiding bills from her, tearing up wanton checks to animal charities (can't get the checkbook away from her yet) I've gotten distressingly good at things I would never have done previously.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Again, another big ditto to what M1 said. And one small caution: my DH with Alzheimer’s regularly surprised —no, astounded —me at how he could find things I thought I hid, no matter how carefully I chose or where I put them. It was uncanny. If we’d had cameras inside, I would have sworn he watched me “hide” things. (Finally had to get lockbox for some things).

Fiblets and omissions become necessary when you’re trying to protect a PWD. Almost certainly he will forget about it soon, before you will.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I think I would take the battery out of his key.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Safes are handy for storing keys, medications, and much else.  A locking toolbox will work in a pinch.

I was about to suggest removing the battery from the key, but it can still unlock and start the car if he can remember how to do it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more