Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

need suggestions for coping with bathroom problems

My DH is 91 and I am 82. He was diagnosed 5 yrs ago and now at the Moderate stage since he had brain surgery 3 yr ago for subdural hematomas.  He also has had Crohn's disease for over 40 yrs and it was managable with 6 pills a day. Oddly he never has accidents with urination but lately has not been able to control bowel movements. He wears Depends and so far has made it into the bathroom but then it is all over his filled leaking Depends and clothing and sox and floor etc. I have done major cleanup 1 x a day for the past 3 days. I do not give him any chocolate  and have limited his coffee as I read they can contribute to diarrhea. 

I read that cleanup is helped using men's shaving foam and that was a helpful suggestion, I have my gloves, paper towels etc at the ready. I must admit I am swearing under my breath as I do yet another cleanup and put him in the shower. Thankfully there has not been an accident on the furniture or the bed. I wonder if others have seen an improvement if they make sure their PWD has set bathroom times. Often he will go and the  10 min later has to go again.

I guess I just needed to vent. We live in an independent living apartment that also has AL and MC in another bldg. I don't really want to pay someone to come in and clean up his poop but boy, this is an aspect of this caretaking that really makes me gag. I have been on this site for 3 + yrs and used to be elruth. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

ElshacK that's a really tough problem. Have you asked his gastroenterologist, if he still has one? Crohn's is such a difficult disease.

I would pay for all the help you can afford.  I'm so sorry, I'm sure it's very wearying. Fecal incontinence is many times the straw that breaks the caregivers back.  

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    My son suffers with Crohn's. Although he is on medication that keeps this situation bearable for good stretches of time, he still has "flares" where the inflammation and spasms in the intestines and bowels make it difficult to make it to the bathroom in time. Have you consulted your DH's Gastro about this? He may benefit from a course of steroids to help calm the spasms or suggest something else to help. My son has just started taking Humira, with the hope that it will provide him with longer periods of remission.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Elshack, I'm sorry this is part of your struggles. We have a granddaughter who fights Chron's. I think M1 has it right when he suggests you consider getting all the help you can afford. I wish I could offer a fix for you.
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Elashack, 

I totally agree with all of the above. Ask his doctor if this is something else. I took care of my DH at home for 5 years but as soon as the bowel movement problems started happening, I tried my best, but my best was not good enough, so I know totally what you are going through. I would have gladly paid someone to come in and clean up after him. With the community you live in that could be an easy find. I had to place my DH the pooping was the straw that broke the camel's back. I know you are giving it your all but sometimes your all is not enough. Take care of yourself.  Hugs Zetta 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more