Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Blood pressure surprise

I've written before about my DH's sudden decline with leg weakness and cognition changes. Doctor ordered home health physical therapy to address leg weakness and they noticed consistent low blood pressure and heart rate. Doctor removed one BP med. A week later DH is walking better and not as much fogginess. Of course, he still has delusions and all his other symptoms of VaD and AZ but what a remarkable difference. 

Theory is blood pressure was gradually lowered this past year after addition of sertraline a year ago that was increased in September and then the addition of seroquel last month.  I never related the leg weakness to low blood pressure and hadn't been monitoring his BP. because it was in normal range at doctor visits, probably from the anxiety of being there. Lesson learned!! I'm so grateful for this win. 

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Pam so good that there was an easy solution.....I'm sure you're relieved.  Reminder for us all not to forget the basics, especially where blood pressure drugs are involved.  Hypertension is so common that most of us end up on medication eventually....

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more