Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My thoughts(1)

I lost my special guy in June of 2020. From time to time, I am drawn to this board, remembering when you all were lifesavers for me. In the past few days, I’ve seen postings that inclined me to share again. Today has been a chilly, icy day and I decided this is the day….

To Ed1937 - Thank you for your wisdom and calm, positive attitude. You, above anyone else, helped me immensely. I think of you often.
To Bill_2001 - I feel your pain and frustration in each post. I pray you listen to the wise words of those here. They know. 
To Beachfan - Wow. What an awesome lady you are. You cared for your husband until you couldn’t. Life is short - and you are living it, even as you still love him.
There are so many more of you who helped guide me, especially in my husband’s last days. He has been gone for a year and a half. My sister sent me a photograph tonight that showed up on her Facebook memories from 2018. He was struggling then, but still so handsome - strong and smiling. What I’ve learned since he’s been gone is we have to keep moving forward, even when we’re covered in heartbreak. I miss my husband and have my teary moments nearly every day - But, I’m doing ok - and those teary moments aren’t coming quite as often. His favorite word was ‘Hope’ - and I HOPE the best for each of you!

Comments

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Sally,

This is a lovely post.  Thank you for returning and sharing your Stage 8 thoughts.  You were a wonderful, devoted caregiver and it’s great to read how you’re managing through.  Keep at it!

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Dear Sally,

So nice to hear your thoughts, Ed, Bill, and of course Beachfan have been my life supports. I lost my DH a month after you and I cry every day, but I visit here daily for my much needed support.

Thanks for sharing,

Michele

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Sally1953 wrote:

………What I’ve learned since he’s been gone is we have to keep moving forward, even when we’re covered in heartbreak. I miss my husband and have my teary moments nearly every day - But, I’m doing ok - and those teary moments aren’t coming quite as often.

Dear Sally, 
     How kind of you to stop in, say hello, and acknowledge forum members who’ve helped you along the way.  Thank you!
     I so agree with what you’ve learned since your DH has been gone.  Even though my DH is still physically here, I miss “him” and when he is truly gone, I will miss him even more and love him forever. But there is life to be lived and he would be beyond unhappy if I spent time wallowing.  Tonight, my little granddaughter is “sleeping over” complete with a bubble bath, popcorn and a movie.  Little pleasures make life rewarding in spite of Alzheimer’s.  Thanks for your good wishes. 
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thank you for stopping by
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    "We have to keep moving forward even when we're covered with heartbreak."  Thank you, Sally, for your wise and moving words.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Thanks so much for your post.  As a practical matter I "lost" DW years ago.  This is a horrible disease 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sally, thanks so much for checking in, and letting us know how the forum helped. I've thought about you, and some of the others who have reached the end of caregiving. I'm glad to hear that you're on the mend after such a difficult time. Check in from time to time to let us know how it's going. Thanks again.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more