Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dental Blues

DH's upper partial plate broke about three weeks ago.  I took him to the dentist and she took an impression and sent the broken plate to a dental lab in Kansas City (about 50 miles south of us) to be repaired.  The next week, the plate came back so we went back to the dentist.  The plate didn't even come close to fitting and would not even stay in DH mouth!  I could here the dentist on the phone when she called the dental lab.  It turns out the mold they had sent broke so the lab repaired the plate the way they thought it should be!  They got it wrong!  The dentist took another impression and sent the plate back to the lab.  All this time, DH has been without his upper partial which has made it difficult to eat.  Yesterday, the dentist called and said his plate was back.  Yeah!  He will get to eat again!  Wrong!  This time when the dental assistant put them in his mouth, they fell right back out and she said they didn't even look like the same plate they had sent to the lab!  They tried and tried to make them fit while poor DH sat there with his mouth open.  He kept saying, "They are not even close!"  And the assistant said the same thing.  Finally the dentist came in and said the same thing.  After another call to the lab and more frustration, the dentist said the lab had somehow warped the plate and she was going to have a whole new partial made.  So, more impressions were taken.  Now they are saying it may be up to a month before the new plate is ready.  Meanwhile, they "glued" the warped plate into DH mouth.  By this time, he was so confused and upset and just kept saying "They're not even close!"  I felt so sad for him.  Last night, he couldn't figure out why his upper partial was "stuck" in his mouth and had no idea of what had happened at the dentist office.  I remember though and feel very frustrated and even angry that he/we have to go through this for another month.  Just another thing to deal with on this journey.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

That has to be difficult to accept. Sounds like someone didn't do the job properly. Sorry it was just something else to deal with. If I were you, I would expect the lab to make a plate free of charge, then if no solution is reached, talk to the owner of the lab.

A few months ago a tooth came out of my wife's upper denture. I called labs myself, to ask if they would glue the tooth back in without us having to see a dentist. One lab was supposed to call me back, and the other lab told me to bring the denture and the loose tooth in. They did an excellent job, and charged me $100.00. Much less than what it would have cost if we went through a dentist, and I got it back the same day. The other lab finally called me back, and would also fix it for us, but the job was already done.

She has dental implants on the bottom, and now a tooth fell out of it! I know it will be more of a hassle to take the implant out, and have it repaired, so we're not having it done because it doesn't bother her while eating.

• RihanaB
    RihanaB Member Posts: 8
    Second Anniversary First Comment

I have implants done here https://elegantlab.com/ and its totally worth the pain and drilling especially if you are replacing missing teeth. It’s a process but I have no regrets, my smile is complete and my mouth is healthy. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more