Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Crushed, please help me.

abc123
abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

My parents are moving from Texas back to Louisiana. Dad has DPOA over mom. His real estate agent just called him and said if my mom happens to die before the house is sold he will have to go through the probate process, which will be long and stressful. Blah blah blah. 

It has always been my understanding that the reason people obtain a DPOA is for situations that occur after death. Crushed, am I incorrect? Please advise.

Sincerely,

abc123

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I am in Tennessee and I have a dpoa for my dw and her sister is the second. I had it made out to include heatlh and financial.  I quick read of the dpoa should help clear that up. My sil should be able to sell our house if I pass as long as dw is alive. It maybe that real estate agent isn't up on this? I did have to register the dpoa with the register of deeds so it would clear the way for a sale without dw signature. Hoping for quick clarity abc
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

While waiting for a response; do your parents have a Trust as well as DPOAs?  If so, that will spell out specifics in detail and will avoid probate.  Also, are your parents Joint Owners of the property with right of survivorship?  That too may well avoid probate.  Here are some articles to scan re Texa as states can differ from one another regarding Probate Law while you are waiting to hear from Crushed:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/texas-avoiding-probate-31945.html

https://www.forbeslawoffice.com/probate/texas-probate-guide/

Good luck, so hope it all goes well,

J.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    POA ends at death.
  • JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I'd call the attorney who wrote the dpoa and ask if the real estate agent is correct.

Usually a poa ends at death. Married couples, who own property, usually title it as joint with right of survivorship. This type of deed usually transfers the property interest without probate.

Unless there is some special circumstance that you have not stated, the agent is wrong, and your dad may want to find a new real estate agent.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes all POAs end at death.  

But - you need the  following questions answered: 

What does the deed say in terms of the names of owners?  And if both of your parents, was it deeded with rights of survivorship?  

Do your parents have wills?  Or a trust?  Or neither. 

It should only have to go through probate if there was no trust or if it wasn’t deeded to both of them with rights of survivorship.  Probate is done with wills if there is real estate that passes to the estate.  

• towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 472
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

1) The primary purpose of the real estate agent is to get as big a commission as possible, as soon as possible. How ethical they are in doing that varies. It sounds like the agent is putting pressure on your father to sell quickly. The relator is not a real estate attorney, or an estate lawyer. Advise your father only to listen to advice from a lawyer.

2)Your mother will pass away no matter what state she is in. Maybe it would make a probate difference, maybe not. But, dragging your mother across the country in her current hospice state might hasten her death. She might even pass away on the way, not comfortably in her bed with her family around.  Ask your father if he is willing to risk that for a financial gain which he is not even sure about.

3) Yes, going thru probate is takes a while, and is a paperwork hassle. Unless your mother is a multimillionaire in her own right, it is not however the zombie apocalypse. Your father has an income of his own to live on, and a place to stay with you during the process.

4) A DPOA is only valid while the person who has given it is alive. When that person dies, financial control goes to the executor of the estate/will and/or the trustee of a trust.

5) I suggest having your father talk to the lawyer who did his DPOA, will etc. 

If you need to, get an authority figure to talk to your father.

Good luck

• abc123

Thank you everyone for taking time to comment and share your knowledge.

Dear Towhee, my mother is safely at my home and has been for over three weeks. 

I was ALWAYS led to believe a POA ended at death but a DPOA did not. 

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

A non-durable POA ends when the principal is declared incompetent and DPOA ends at death. 

When you have more time (HA!) you can Google for yourself. 

• abc123
    Dear Marta, you made me smile! Thank you!
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

1) everything depends on how the house is titled

2)If she is the sole owner its one issue  
    If they are joint owners It depends on the type of joint ownership

POAs end at death

• abc123
    Thank You Crushed! I had to hear it from you. No offense to everyone else. Ed is the mayor here and Crushed is the attorney.
  • towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 472
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Thanks for replying abc123. I usually stay on the caregiver board, so I knew that your parents had been with you for a while, so when you said they were moving back, I was really puzzled. Couldn't check out the states because the update had me temporarily locked out of the caregiver board. Glad things are ok.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more