Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

It’s a puzzlement

ElCy
ElCy Member Posts: 151
Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
How is it that my DH can remember every little bad thing he thinks I did (either recent or in the past) but he can’t remember that that we just watched a TV show 10 times in a row? Either way, it makes me crazy.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Last in, first out. Hope that makes sense.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    How is it that on some days my DH can’t remember my name (“You’re just you. You’re essential.”) after 43 years of marriage, but when we started streaming a TV series that he had watched 12 years ago which I never watched, he remembered the main character’s name later that night. The character’s name was Raylan Givens, from the show Justified. Even a few days later if I ask him he remembers. Not exactly a common name. Isn’t that strange?
  • PlentyQuiet
    PlentyQuiet Member Posts: 88
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary 10 Comments

DH can't remember our plans for the day, but remembers that I used the last of the molasses two weeks ago. He never cooks so it is not something he would normally keep track of, nor was using it up a point of drama that would stay in his head. 

I'm trying to change to a more "go with the flow" mindset, but these things still surprise me.

• Bob in LW
    Bob in LW Member Posts: 91
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    PlentyQuiet wrote:

DH can't remember our plans for the day, but remembers that I used the last of the molasses two weeks ago. He never cooks so it is not something he would normally keep track of, nor was using it up a point of drama that would stay in his head. 

I'm trying to change to a more "go with the flow" mindset, but these things still surprise me.

I agree that it is best to "go with the flow".  My SO's short term memory loss still surprises me at times because it gets progressively worse.  I have learned that it's usually best not to remind her of her lapses because it makes her depressed.  However, when she is in denial, such as, "I've always had a bad memory, so if it isn't important to me, I don't bother to remember", then I have to remind her of her problem so that she will face reality.  Getting her to recognize the many positive things we have in our lives is always a challenge.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Bob in LW wrote:

then I have to remind her of her problem so that she will face reality.   

Bob, welcome to the forum. Sorry you have reason to join. But we have a good group here, and they offer understanding and support.

Have you heard of the term "anosognosia"? If you don't know what it is, please take a few minutes to watch a short video about it. Here's a link. Why your loved one doesn't believe they have dementia- It's NOT denial. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more