Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Grief(5)

jfkoc
jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

" . . . Nine years later, Freud sent a letter to Ludwig Binswanger in which he wrote: "My daughter who died would have been thirty-six today [...] We know that the acute sorrow we feel after such a loss will run its course, but also that we will remain inconsolable, and will never find a substitute. No matter what may come to take its place, even should it fill that place completely, it yet remains something else. And that is how it should be. It is the only way of perpetuating a love that we do not want to abandon.”

Comments

• tcrosse
    tcrosse Member Posts: 44
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    Grief is the price we pay for love.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    It's kind of funny how grief works. My sister died, and I did not feel any grief at all. One and a half years later, my brother died. I felt grief right away. Probably six months or so later, I woke up in the middle of the night, crying. I was grieving for my sister. I can't figure it out. Funny how the mind works.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Grief is sneaky. Just when you think you have a handle on it, it sneaks up and throws a brick at you. Then it starts all over again.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Drina, well said!
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

And as a footnote this particular kind of grief is not only sneaky, but is lurking just under the surface at all times.

Why? Because the person you are grieving for is right in front of you---day after day---to constantly remind you of what has been lost and is never coming back.

It's just that some days you can go about your day and keep it tamped down, but on other days the grief wins.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Drina your words sure hit the nail right on the head without choking the hammer!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more