Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Water(2)

ImMaggieMae
ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Has anyone else here had this problem? My DH has become fixated on drinking water lately. Lots of water. He is probably stage 5/6 and has great mobility and eats well. When he drinks anything he drinks the whole glass down all at once and then a minute later forgets that he drank it and asks for, or gets another himself. He’s had fixations on other foods in the past couple of months like bananas or apples and anything chocolate. We had to start keeping the bananas in the pantry a month or two ago after he ate 7 or 8 from the fruit bowl within a half day. This is in addition to regular meals. My sister who lives here as well noticed the water first. It wasn’t something that was even on my radar. It was about 5 days ago that it started and ended up that first night with diarrhea and vomiting up liquid a couple times during the night. I thought it was very likely hyponatremia and we started limiting his water to 8 to 10 glasses per day and checked in with his PCP who agreed and ordered a blood test to measure sodium. Limiting the water resulted in normal sodium levels after 4 days which was when he had the bloodwork done. 

I feel bad when he keeps asking for water and saying that he’s thirsty, but he forgets he just drank an 8 oz glass within a couple of minutes and would probably continue til it was coming out of his ears! We sometimes give him orange juice of decaf coffee, still counting them as water. 

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Maggie you were absolutely right to be concerned, psychogenic hyponatremia is a real thing and potentially lethal.

The whole thing about 8-10 glasses of water day is pretty much a western medical myth-along with many others like annual checkups, 10,000 daily steps (i fully realize this sentence could stir up controversy). I certainly wouldn't push any fluids on him under the circumstances. Obsessions of all sorts are she's difficult part of this disease.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Smaller glasses is my first thought.
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Low sodium (hyponatremia) can become a medical emergency if he drinks too much water. I agree with using smaller glasses and maybe add some electrolytes to the water. You could send an email to his doctor asking what he would suggest adding to the water.
  • ImMaggieMae
    We’re monitoring his water and limiting him to about 8 glasses per day. The problem is, it’s become one of his “things” and he asks for more water every 3 or 4 minutes, for hours on end. We try to divert his attention, but it only lasts so long. This is one of those repetitive things. Since he’s completely mobile we have to watch him constantly. He can drink a glass in about 30 seconds. It’s driving us crazy. Any ideas on how to handle this?
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I hope he was checked for diabetes.  

If you read about Prader Willi Syndrome you may get some tips on how to limit intake.

Iris

• Bob in LW
    Bob in LW Member Posts: 91
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Drinking too much water in a short period of time can be dangerous and even fatal.  Several years ago, a Sacramento radio station held a contest to see who could drink the most water to win a popular video game.  Several health professionals called to warn the station about the danger, but they were ignored.  The lady who won the contest died because of it.
  • Bill JS
    Bill JS Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

My wife is maybe in between early and mid stage ALZ. She's very health-minded, and developed the good habit of staying appropriately hydrated. But in recent years, her blood labs were often showing lowered sodium, and it would be corrected by limiting fluid intake for a few days. (Her fluid intake is mainly tea, juice, etc.) But the ALZ has interfered with her memory of doctor discussions on this and with her comprehension of the problem.

It truly has become a problem, because she has fainted four times in the past year and a half. The best doctors can figure is that lowered sodium puts her in the risk zone, and then an event like a slight fever, or working out in the heat too much, triggers fainting.

Being early to mid stage, she still largely manages herself. We put a pitcher with 64oz on the counter every morning, and she generally cooperates with that, but it's a struggle to get her to be careful with it, and to remember. Ideas?

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I actually suffer from low sodium and have passed out from it. My physician suggested I increase my salt intake (I don't have blood pressure issues so more salt will be ok). I am wondering if you could put salt in the water or try to mix a drink like Gatorade, salt and water to balance out the problem.

• ImMaggieMae

My original post was from over a year ago. It turned out that the excess water drinking was just a temporary thing, one of those quirks they seem to go through from time to time, like asking a question over and over again every few minutes. It passed. I think it lasted for less than a month. We just watched him all the time and diverted his attention. These days it’s more common to have to encourage more water.

• Bill JS
    Bill JS Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

I appreciate the comments. Thanks.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia