Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Spitting(3)

My DH has begun spitting... anytime, anywhere, no discretion. It's almost like a constant tic. Gross,gross,gross! The first thing I do each morning is walk through the house searching for globs of spit/phlegm to clean up. I've wondered if any of the medications he's taking could possibly cause this?  (Singulair, Seroquel, Klonopin, Memantine, Donepezil, Tamsulosin, ,Finesteride, L-Thyroxine)?

Has anyone else had this problem with your LO?

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi Sadlady,

No, I never had that problem with Charles but I do remember daddy did a lot of spitting - but it was bits of food he's spit when he was eating.  Anything that had texture he'd spit out. 

One thing I've tried and really like is Simply Saline. Sometimes I get some congestion in my throat during the night and if I use that before I go to sleep I don't have it - just a thought.   I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sadlady, I don't have an answer for you, but if you're concerned with medication side effects, I use drugs.com. You can find side effects, and also drug interactions on the site. It's easy to use after you spend just a little time on the site. You can enter all the medications he takes, then save it if you want. Just wanted to pass that on.
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

Yes, DH does this too.  It is gross!  He usually spits in the sink.  Sometimes he goes outside into the yard.  I don't know if it is a side effect of meds.  I give him Zyrtec each night and he uses flonaise nose spray once a day.  But he complains he's got "blubber" as he calls it.  

He is on mementine, donepozil trazadone for ALZ 

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Wow, my mom did this. As said, like a tic, automatic, anywhere anytime, . for no apparent reason. If you saw her make that face, you could give her a tissue fast and she knew what to do. But tissues/napkins etc. in lap or nearby ignored.  She just let it fly and denied she did it even when you (and it) was right there. On Floor, clothes, furniture…a gross mess, and a health danger. 

She only took one very benign  Rx, her docs could find no reason for spitting except as like a tic or habit. There were some meds that cause drier mouth, but doc didn’t think that was an issue, and they all had other serious side effects.

So sorry, no answers for you. Even the facility workers said they had not seen that behavior before. She eventually stopped when she was late stage 7.

• NylaBlue
    NylaBlue Member Posts: 65
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Spitting has become part of my husband’s urination ritual, along with putting copious amounts of TP in the toilet, one square at a time. After all of this he even occasionally urinates. He has been on tamsulosin and Finasteride for over five years but the spitting starting in the last year. I think it’s an OCD manifestation, not related to any drug.
  • Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My DT has new dentures and I think they are one of the reasons he will occasionally spit into a kleenex. Also he gets into coughing episodes from sinus problems and post nasal drip so that also causes him to spit and try to drink water. Thankfully it is in a kleenex but sometimes in the sink after he brushes his teeth and sometimes in the toilet.

This may be part of the Alz progression but for now it isn't gross.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    DH went through a 9 month spitting phase. It ended about 2 months ago, finally. I think it was related to anxiety. I hated it.
  • carrots25
    carrots25 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

this is a constant with my mom. It has been now for a few years. She was diagnosed 5 years ago. I always thought it must be part of the progression. Some part of the brain doesn’t always connect or tell her to swallow ? I have asked about it but never get an answer except that it’s part of it. ?!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more