Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

This should not be political - it's about time

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you Ed; this will hopefully become a priority and move fast instead of languishing in the frozen space of committees.

As for "CareCompare," that is fraught with issues as the data displayed comes directly from the care facilities themselves - no one audits to ensure that it is accurate.  Some facilities are honest about their data, others are not.   One thing that dismays me is not only lying about staffing, but when reporting how many licensed nurses there are for patient care; some facilities include the DON, the audit nurse and other administrative or part time consultant nurses . . . these people are not engaged in direct patient care so that skews the staffing impression.

Let's hope that this begins to make significant changes.  The idea of no roommate sharing is something I hope happens.  This is good for many reasons and will in all probability help with the infection and disease transmission rates.

Got to get this in prior to next election cycle because who knows what will be following that.  We are presently living with highly negative changes made by a prior administration which has had unwanted impact.

So much bureaucracy in many layers; hope they can cut through all of that and get this going.  Perhaps it would be helpful if many people wrote letters sending communication regarding the importance of this and doing it swiftly.   The squeaky wheel often is the one that gets the grease.   We here could help with that. What do you think, Ed?

J.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I've taught science based safety regulation  since 1975.   The normal procedure to defeat effective health and safety  regulation  is to have a good "nominal" standard but then have worthless, underfunded, industry controlled, procedurally impossible  enforcement mechanisms.  This was true for both the TITANIC  and the 737 MAX.   

The Florida Condo collapse shows the same problem.  All over the country public health enforcement has been gutted at the behest of local businesses  who dont make money saving lives.

States control vaccination and public health policy

VACCINES BEGAN CUTTING THE DEATH TOLL IN FEBRUARY 2021
     Here is the death toll per million since then  in the four largest states in the USA

California    853
    New York   1025
    Texas           1414

Florida         1788

No its not a Typo  Florida public health policies killed twice as many of its citizens per capita as California  

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Memory Care is not Nursing Care, it is Assisted Living. In the 5 months my wife had been in a MCF, I have become acutely aware of this fact. The proposed tightening of nursing home standards is an excellent start, but as long as MCFs are excluded, it will do us no good.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    David J wrote:
    Memory Care is not Nursing Care, it is Assisted Living. In the 5 months my wife had been in a MCF, I have become acutely aware of this fact. The proposed tightening of nursing home standards is an excellent start, but as long as MCFs are excluded, it will do us no good.

That depends on your state.  in Maryland Alzheimer's care facilities are all level three programs

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Here are excellent links detailing the laws and regulations re Memory Care (Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly), RCFE,in the state of California. Scroll down to Part 2 on the first link for the regs that the facility must follow.  Staffing regulations are so anemic as has been discusssed here . . . and look at the training required of staff . . . they must have 40 hours to work independently with patients - BUT if they are considered working under supervision of someone, they do not need to have that prior to working with patients.

I think much of this is similar to many other states .  . . caveat emptor and boy, do we ever need beefed up laws and regulations for the patient's/residents benefit.  

https://www.memorycare.com/memory-care-in-california/

Here are the actual regs and laws - quite a tome, but lots of info:

https://www.cdss.ca.gov/getinfo/pdf/rcfe1.PDF

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia