Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Picture book

My husband can still find most words but it gets worse each month. Has anyone made a picture book? I was thinking of a book with one picture per page in plastic sheets of the most common things they might want or need. It might relieve some of the frustration they feel when they can’t find the right word. It could be divided into catagories: food, bathroom activities, outside activities, pets and family members or friends they still see.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Gig I know such books (and electronic versions on tablets) already exist, used for folks with speech disorders of all sorts. Should be fairly easy to find so that you don't have to reinvent the wheel. Of course at some point a PWD might lose the capacity to use them but it might help for a while.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    I used to moderate a couple of forums for parents of kids on the autism spectrum. Many, even the higher functioning kids, are non-verbal, late to talk or have selective mutism which makes picture communication useful. 

The site Do2Learn is a good one- there are lot of free downloads available and general information. Many parents I know put laminated cards on a large ring for the most common needs/wants. Sometimes, they created event-specific decks for things like a doctor visit.

You can also laminate lists to hang in rooms for a PWD to serve as a visual prompt assuming they still respond to such things. IME, sometimes pointing to the visual prompt is sometimes preferable as it removes the "nagging" component which can trigger resistance or anger. It's surprising how many hacks I learned to deal with my son with ASD's behavior worked well in the context of dad's dementia.

This should be a set of Adult-appropriate cards.

Do2Learn: Educational Resources for Special Needs
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Gig, I wish I had thought of this back when it would have made a difference! I think it's a good idea.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Gig, that's a great thought, and one that never crossed my mind. Thank you!
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Gig thank you. Most of the time I can figure out what he is trying to say. But lately it is getting harder. I have tried showing him pictures of some basic things, like shoes, he could tell they ( the ones in the picture) are not his. So I have started taking pictures of his things and printed them out, put in a notebook and he knows they are his so yes it can work. For him it had to be “his “ that he was talking about. If that makes any sense!
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    ETA:

Gig-

A lot of families put the laminated cards on metal rings as one might keys, then you can use a carabiner to clip it onto a belt loop, walker or wheelchair as needed or just keep them together.

HB
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Gig that's a great idea, using everything your lo has. It connects in more than one way. Like music can make connections. Awesome ide
  • Kenzie56
    Kenzie56 Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions
    I made a one sheet "Menu" and laminated it. I inserted pictures of DH favorite foods (toast, eggs, spaghetti, mac & cheese, chicken tenders, sandwich, etc) and labeled them. Before each meal, I hand him the Menu and ask him what he wants to eat. He either points to the food item or reads it. If it is the day before I need to go to the grocery store, I give him the "Daily Special" Menu that only has 2-3 items (that I always seem to have on hand). So far, this has worked like a charm...he sits at the table like we are in a restaurant and I join him with either the same meal or a different one that "I ordered".  DH seems to like the independence of ordering and there are no misunderstandings and frustrations yet. This particular "restaurant" cuts his food up, which he likes - and anything goes...eggs for dinner is fine with me.
  • Midwest Gal
    Midwest Gal Member Posts: 27
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes

Yes, I use photos with my DH when the sundowning hits and he doesn't recognize the inside of our home.  I took large photos of the outside of our house and the barn yard.  I find that real photos work better than ones that you pull off the internet.  The biggest issue here is that his condition seems to involve the connection between his eyes and his brain.  He doesn't even. need glasses but it's amazing how little detail he can see at times.  As his condition worsens I will include people photos and hope for the best. 

Prior to my retirement I transitioned individuals with intellectual disabilities into various new living arrangements.  I would create a "transition book" for them and read it as it as a story prior to the move.  I would include the new house, bedroom, staff, activities and such.  It might be a useful tool for some when individuals are ready to move into MC. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more