Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

caregiver 101.1

More things I have learned that were not obvious.

Food:  My gal started getting really picky about food.  She used to like fish,  then she didn't.  Lasagne was a favorite, then it was not.  Meat of any kind was suddenly not good.  I was really at my wits end trying to find food she would eat, and then one day I got it.

It had nothing to do with taste or texture.  It was a size issue.  Her use of implements seemed unchanged, but then I realized that she could not understand or adjust food size.  If it didn't fit in a single bite, it was 'not good'.  Now I cut everything into bite sized bits, from spaghetti to pizza, to...well, everything.  Even sandwiches.  Now they are sandwich bits served on a plate with a fork. It's like a little culinary miracle.

Second item was a tendency to stir everything on a plate into a mass, and then eat it.  This is fine, but i now plan meals with things that, when combined, made a decent casserole.  Single pot meals are a hit, (stew, Jambalaya) and so are jumbo dinner salads.

Size matters. 

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Wow RB - congrats on figuring that out. So interesting; culinary miracle indeed. That's a big win!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Roberts, that's good detective work! Glad you found it, and shared with us. I cut my wife's meat in small pieces, and spaghetti,  but not much more.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thanks RB my dw isn't  there yet, but if it comes to this I will have a new trick in my bag
  • Jack Z.
    Jack Z. Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    I always have to cut my wife's steak up since she can no longer handle that job.  Still a little awkward feeling in restaurants but I figure if anyone has a problem with it...tough (not the steak )
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Robert’s great win and thank you so much for sharing! I do break the spaghetti into small pieces before cooking, sometimes it helps. Thank you again! 

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I really appreciate this kind of advice. Thank You.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Instead of spaghetti, I cook shell pasta or macaroni and serve it with a soup spoon.  Pasta is pasta.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more