Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Are plate guards worth considering?

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Do they actually work well, and if so, where do you get them? Tired of food on the floor and on her clothes.

EDIT: I should have also asked if anyone used the "scoop dishes" (if that's what they're called)?

Comments

• Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Ed, I'm with you being tired of cleaning the table, chair, and floor.  I haven't tried the plate guards but I think you can get them at Amazon. I use pie plates that have worked really well. Since I have the commonly available Fiesta plates I was able to get matching pie plates so I could introduce them without making a big deal out of it.  I'm not sure what scoop plates are but sounds promising.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed, someone has posted in the past about using them. Sorry at the moment I don’t remember who it was, I know she has placed her DH in memory care about 6 months ago.  I too am tired of the mess.  We have a little dog that wait’s patiently until DH is through and cleans the floor but the table is a mess!  Saturday was DH birthday and our kids came, one daughter stopped and brought hamburgers for lunch. They have not been out in about a month, youngest daughter committed about how messy her dad was. Said she thought hamburgers would be easier for all but was surprised her dad had more of it on him in than in him! Finger foods seems to be the way we are going to have to go. Sadly he is messy even with that. 

I have tried the pie plate but thinking of trying to put sticky tape under it.  

Best of luck to you. 

• Ed1937
    Thanks for the replies. I think it was Beachfan who posted about that, but I don't remember how well she said they worked.
  • mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Ed,

I think it was Beachfan and they did work -hopefully she'll check in soon.

Michele

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Here I am Ed! With time on my hands. I bought six Sure Fit food guards, item number #NC35244.  I  called the company where I bought them originally, but they are out of stock. They are made by North Coast, website is www.ncmedical.com, priced at $8.95 each.  They are available on the North Coast website.  

I like these food guards. Overtime, I had one at home,  I left one at my daughter’s  house, one at my daughter-in-law’s house, and one down at the beach. I sent one along to the MCF with DH and they use it faithfully.  I hand wash them, and I have never had one of them break. The one at the MCF has gotten a lot of use, as I used it here before DH was placed.  DH is right handed, so I clip the plate guard to the left side of the plate as he tends to push his food in that direction.  I put a damp cloth or some nonslip mat under his plate so that it doesn’t move as he tries to scoop his food. I, or someone at the MCF  pushes the food into a little pile for him as he eats so that he can get it on his Spork better. (As an aside, I bought Sporks online at Crate and Barrel and they work well for him. A plus is that they are very attractive and look like fine cutlery instead of the campfire items available for toasting marshmallows.) I sent the sporks to the MCF as well.  

There are a lot of products out there for aid in self feeding. I personally really like these plate guards.   Others may add good suggestions as well. Good luck.

• Beachfan

Hi Joydean,

I just saw your post. By the time DH was placed, in November, he had progressed to the point where I cut his sandwiches in quarters, cut his burgers in half, cut pizza into bite-size finger food, and had to place many of the items directly into his hands. His perception was really poor; he had trouble locating even finger food items on a plate, like french fries, or apple slices. He could no longer figure out how to hold a small bowl with his left hand and scoop out soft food like ice cream, pudding, coleslaw. So, even before he was placed, I was feeding him those items. He was hungry, willing to eat anything, and would be frustrated with trying to get it to his mouth by himself, and there would be a mess anyway. I figured it wouldn’t be long until he was going to need total assistance with feeding, and to make it easier on him and me, I just cut to the chase. The caregivers at his MCF encourage as much independence as possible, but all of them help to make sure he gets every bit of food that is served to him..

It’s very sad to see this happen to a guy who could balance a hotdog, fries and a beer at the ball park or would drive with a fast food burger, fries and a shake in his lap. 

• Ed1937
    Beachfan, thanks for such a detailed message. I guess I was expecting something different. I looked at the site, and noticed the guard covers just about 1/2 of the plate. I'm wondering if that will work for my wife. I do have a 9 1/2 inch pie plate, and might try that too. I'm not sure if she will tolerate using either one of them though. I can just see her saying "I'm not a baby". I appreciate the ideas.
  • Joydean

Beachfan thank you, and I’m sorry I couldn’t remember your name! I’ve read a lot of your helpful post and certainly felt for you when you had to place your husband. Forgive me for not recalling your name! 

• Beachfan
    Ed, you are correct.  DH scoops with his right hand toward the left side of the plate.  When he reaches the plate guard, he stops the “forward motion” and lifts the spork to his mouth.  In the absence of the guard, he would just continue pushing the food right off the plate.  Before placement, he could still spoon Frosted mini wheats out of a cereal bowl with success, but anything else in a bowl was hit or miss. It’s a never ending adventure to “adapt” as progression occurs.  I’m just happy he eats anything and eats like a wolf!
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,074
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Ed,

Whatever solution you try, you might want to fit your own plate with the "helper" as well.  That way it is not just LO who has the new looking serving device.  Might help to get better acceptance.

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

I just purchased a package of 2 from Amazon.  They cover half the plate and stretch to fit dinner or smaller plates. They do work.  I have Corell plates.  The guard works well on the dinner plate, the smaller plate not as well but much better with nothing there.

The first time I used it my husband didn't even notice it until the end of dinner.  He asked what it was, and I told him, and he was fine with it. 

As Beachfan does, I also put the guard on the left side since he pushes his food to the left.  I too have to cut his sandwiches burgers into quarters and pizza into small pieces. 

• Gmom28
    Gmom28 Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

We use both, purchased through Amazon. I purchased 3 plate guards and keep one in his backpack in case we are out. The scoop bowl I purchased has a suction cup attached which is helpful. 

• Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Ed, Lovekitties suggestion to use whichever method you choose for you too is wonderful. I introduced the pie plate for both of us so he didn't think it was just for him and surprisingly didn't get a pushback. If you do use a pie plate, pick one that's heavy enough not to slip around. Beachfan, you are one resourceful and thoughtful lady to make sure your DH always has what he needs wherever he is.
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Just had scrambled eggs and there is nothing on the table!!  Had to let you know!
  • Ed1937
    Thanks for all the posts! I actually thought of having one of our daughters bring two pie plates into the house, and just tell us how great they are. We already have two, but they're not the same. Have to go shopping. Then I'll tell my wife we have to use them so we don't hurt her feelings. I'm sure she will buy that.
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,074
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Whatever option you pick you might want to consider gluing some non-slip shelf "paper" to the bottom.  There is a rubber kind which is good.  If you don't want to attach it, them make some placemats out of it.  That way you are not chasing the plate around the table.
  • Ed1937
    Another good tip. Thank you.
  • Joydean
    Loveskittes  thanks for the tip on using the shelf linner as place mats!
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Some paper plates are deep, almost like a pie plate.  I only use paper plates.

Iris

• Ed1937
    Thanks, Iris. I didn't think of that. And you don't have to wash them.
  • Ed1937
    Iris, I happened to go to Costco this morning, and saw some of those paper plates you mentioned. I bought 200 of them, and used them for lunch. We only had sandwiches today, but it looks like they might work well for dinner. Thanks again for the idea.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Ed, I'm glad they are working out for you!

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney