Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Few questions ??

pdm
pdm Member Posts: 5
First Comment First Anniversary
I'm new to this group and am trying to find out a few things. My DH was diagnosed last year with  VD.   after a stroke. I think he has had it a couple  of years before. Aricept is the only drug they added to his medications.  Should he be on any other drug that may help with memory and anxiety ?He gets really mad sometimes for no reason. What about counselling ? My children thinks we should go. 

Comments

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

I go to a therapist myself to help handle my reactions and deal with my DH dementia; several people here go to one. The PWDs, not so much. Every PWD is different, but IME there’s wide agreement that counseling would not help many like my DH because, basically, he could not remember any of it long enough to make use of, or apply, it. At this point he couldn’t even follow the conversation. If your husband can remember things and follow through advice, I’d at least investigate counseling.

My DH was on the two best-known drugs—Aricept and another, namenda?— and maybe they slowed his progression. But he still progressed, don’t know how much or how fast it might have been without them. But he did not have negative side effects, so we did. When taking meds became a problem, we stopped both. Couldn’t tell any difference either way. And yess, they may get an Rx for anxiety. But any other conditions your DH has, or meds he takes, can also affect whether he should take. That’s a call for you and your doctors. A geriatric psychiatrist is really hugely helpful, IME for advising/getting Rx advice (not for talk therapy, but for meds that can help).

Sorry you have to be here, and sorry I’m not more helpful. These are just such individual issues with so many “depends on…” factors. But this forum has given me far more practical, useful information on various issues than any other source.

• pdm
    Thank you so much. I will talk to my Dr.
  • extex
    extex Member Posts: 62
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    The med seroquel may help with the anxiety and anger issues but will probably make him sleepy.  My wife took both aricept and namenda for several years to slow the rate of decline.  It is impossible to know if either helped. She is now in mid to late stage 7.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    One more detail: if his anger gets to where you feel physically threatened/unsafe, you should definitely call a doc about meds, and take steps to protect yourself, there are several threads about how to do that here.  My DH also takes Seroquel for that reason. It does help calm him, but it also makes him tired and sleep more. You have to balance the need vs. the side effects.
  • pdm
    He was taking Viibryd for a few months but the side effect was diarrhea so we had to take him off. It may have help a little . I would hate to put him on something that would make him sleep because he does a lot of that. Not sure what stage he is in . How can I find that out ?
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    If he's anxious or depressed, it may be driving his random anger. I would consult with a geriatric psychiatrist about a trial of medication to help him feel better.

With a dementia diagnosis, he won't have the working memory or executive function skills to make use of therapy, but a therapist for you could be an excellent idea.

HB
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    pdm, welcome to this forum. You found a great place to learn, ask questions, share, vent and more. The people here are in the trenches and know far more than anyone else. As far as meds, aricept and namenda seem to be the two main ones that MAY or MAY NOT slow the symptoms. There really is no way to know if they help. My DH was prescribed those and an antidepressant when he was diagnosed. The antidepressant was because he was aware of his diagnosis and frankly was depressed because he knew what the future held for us. He was also aware of his losses and got very frustrated when he couldn't do things he had always been able to do. We stopped the first two when they became too expensive and he was quite advanced anyway. He continues the antidepressant and now also takes seroquel and an anti tremor med. He's late stage 7 at this point and on hospice. You'll get good advice here from others so that you and DH's docs can make the best decisions for him. Blessings to you and your DH.
  • pdm
    Thank you Marie58 ,  I'm so sorry to hear that your DH is on hospice. Sending many prayers your way. May I ask how long has he had the disease ? My DH was told last year that he had VD but I don't think he remember . I told him again this week and it was like he had just heard it for the first time. He always has been a jack of all trade so it hard to see him struggle to do a task. He loves to camp but I see that  coming to an end. He is still driving with me in the car and never wants to stay home. If we are home he sleeps a lot.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    pdm, DH was diagnosed with EOAD almost 6 yrs ago at age 60. He went on hospice last sept. YouTube has been a lifesaver now that I have to do those things DH did so effortlessly all those years.
  • Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Welcome  pdm, I'm also a  newbie to the page, I'm not a social media type of person. I do find a lot of good info. here and for the longest I thought I was alone with dealing with all this, I find solace here. My DW was diagnosed 2019 and her neurologist started her on Namenda and Aricept, and recently (last 4 months) she has become delusional, aggressive and agitated so she is now on Seroquel. Seroquel has helped a lot with the aggression and agitation.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Pdm you were asking about staging, look up Tam Cummings seven stages of dementia, that’s the most detailed description of behaviors.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more