Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Address advice please.

abc123
abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Dad sold his house and closed yesterday. They are staying at my house until Dad buys another. What's best for him, a change of address to my house OR forward to my house?

Thank you!

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

My advice….change of address to your house.    Take the opportunity to take control of the mail.  Throw out the junk mail and the charitable solicitations.  You’ve mentioned before that your Dad may be having a few cognitive issues himself.  This is an easy way to get started on the control of the mail and eventually the bills. It will just make it more convenient for what’s coming next.  Until then, you can drop his mail off or he can come get it. 

We did a change of address to my house when I brought my mom back to our state.   She was in rehab for a month and he was in a hotel.  They then moved to the assisted living facility.  However the only people that have that address is the DMV.  They put my address on for mailing purposes and their actual address on the DL ( Dad) and ID( Mom).   

It became doubly important that their mail was coming here after my car accident.  I am on two of the three bank  accounts, so I could handle the financial stuff even though I was more or less confined to my house for three months.  If he’s going to open a new bank  account - see is he will add you to it.  That will simplify matters should he need you to shop for him etc.  just make sure you never put any of your own money in, and that you document why you use a debit card on his behalf  and never pay for anything for yourself out of it. 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Quilting gave you the answer. I agree. I hope everything goes well for you.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    QBC, with everything that's going on right now, that never crossed my mind! Shame on me. I don't know what I'd do without everyone here! Ed, thank you too. I appreciate your input, as always.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more