Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A win

Buggsroo
Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Today our psw or personal support worker came at 8:00 am. She was lovely and Jon, my husband loved chatting with her. It was interesting to see them interacting together, she was no nonsense but compassionate.

He is not up to her helping in the shower yet, today was our first day together. 

It was interesting seeing how my husband talked to her and how the was with him. I see that my hubby is quite frail now, his dementia is progressing. He asked the same thing about ten times but she was very patient. I busted myself feeding the cats and making his breakfast, observing the interaction. These support people must be trained really well, her bubbly personality charmed my husband. He immediately me to make her breakfast and a coffee. 

Comments

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Sounds good to me!  Great for you and your husband. Some PWD just won’t accept anyone in their house or in their life. I’m glad it looks so promising.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    that's great news Buggsroo.  So that's what PSW stands for!!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Definitely a win! Good for you.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Sounds promising so far.  Hopefully, it will stay good and get even better day by day.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    That is a win for the both of you, sounds like it gave you a second to look from a different prospective. Here's  hoping for more wins.
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I also wondered what PSW stood for. I am glad she worked out so well. You need and deserve to get away without worry. I think it is good to get them used to having other people in their lives so that when the time comes to move to a care facility it won’t be as hard on them. I am starting to think about placement for my husband and it will be such a hard decision to make.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Buggsroo, I am soo happy for you!  Hopefully soon you will be able to leave the house to do something by yourself!  Most definitely a WIN. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more