Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Alexa is his friend

caberr
caberr Member Posts: 211
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

DH has been listening to music almost all the time for a few weeks.  That's ok but he thinks Alexa is his friend.  He's asked if she can come for dinner. He says she is lonely.  I tried to tell him she's not real just on the internet but that was the wrong thing to say.  I finally told him I would save food for her for when she shows up.  He was ok with that but the past 2 days he wouldn't sit down for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  He was waiting for his friend.   I finally got him to sit but he was upset.  He now calls her Amy or Mamy.   When she doesn't show up he said I thought I found a friend.  But every meal we go through the same thing. 

I think he is bored.  Anything I suggest we do he's not interested.  

I don't know what to do.  Has anyone had something like this happen?    

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    I just asked Alexa if she was my friend. Her reply? “We are definitely friends, but are we besties? Ask me for a quiz….”
  • shardy
    shardy Member Posts: 43
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments

That's a tough one. I am an Alexa fan. Jim used her for a year or so to make phone calls after he lost the ability to use his cell. But sadly he lost his Alexa ability also.

I do find myself saying thank you to her lol

I just asked her if she could come to dinner and she said sure if I talk to her while having dinner it's fine with her.   Jim cannot understand she is not real.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm not a fan of Alexa or Siri, either one. Siri is ghosting me right now.

Caberr that's kinda sad. I know there's talk about using robots to care for PWD but I don't know how that would fly. What if they get frustrated by the repeated questions too?!?

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Caberr - is there a way to connect with someone who can visit him for lunch (or something) weekly? This seems ideal if he would accept a volunteer from Agency on Aging or any other respite support option you may be eligible for...? If he is bored that might help and it also could help introduce home help acceptance which will benefit you in the long run.

Funny anecdote, a friend reported their youngest (2nd grade?) began reporting her homework as "all done" very early each evening for a few days, and busy working mom and dad started questioning her story. The math and other subjects' answers were all correct but older siblings confirmed they had not been helping at all. When asked how she was accomplishing this the little one said: "I just asked Alexa". Not exactly cheating, and the parents admired their youngest child's creativity at figuring out such a brilliant homework hack but... Edit: they weren’t happy with short circuiting real learning.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    shardy wrote:

I do find myself saying thank you to her lol

I just asked her if she could come to dinner and she said sure if I talk to her while having dinner it's fine with her.   Jim cannot understand she is not real.

A couple of weeks ago, I asked Alexa a question. She gave me a fairly detailed answer. When I got the answer I just walked away. My wife really got on my case for not thanking her.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I find myself speaking courteously to Walgreen's computer voice when ordering prescription refills.  I have finally broken myself of ordering food "to go" at drive up windows - some of the young ladies taking the orders found that amusing.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

When I use the gps my husband asked why does that person keep telling you where to turn, you know where we are going right? And yes I find myself telling her thank you. Good manners never go away. 

Trying to explain what alexia is, just goes over dh’s head. 

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,405
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    I remember a very old Katherine Hepburn movie. Her character was a  reference librarian who answered phone questions all day long.  What’s the capital of Texas, etc?  Maybe you could fib and say that Alexis is a reference librarian who is a shut-in and lives several hours away?  They might make more sense to your loved one than trying to explain.
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

Lol everyone!  I like Quilting brings calm idea.  I may try that.

I have someone come in 2 mornings a week and a friend does come for an hour or so one day a week so he does have some company.   this is just such a weird disease. 

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    This thread prompted me to figure out why Siri was ghosting me.  Her settings had gotten jostled to Danish language and no reponse to Hey Siri.  Go figure.  She's baaack.....
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I often answer alexia when she offers to play some other music but if I want to buy Amazon music then I can hear my selection. It is amazing how we reply to our gps or phone. This is AI out there that is learning to hold conversation with humans. I do like the features that come with my echo show. The things I don't like is when they turn on a feature without approving it. It will suddenly start showing ads or movie trailers or recipes. It also was going to start sharing my wifi with any neighbor that had a door cam. They call that Sidewalk.I shouldn't have to  disable some feature they add. I have mine set not to buy anything.. Dw never talks to Alexia. But she loves my music favorites

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more