Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

PSW or personal support worker.

Buggsroo
Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
We had our first day with our support worker. My husband asked her many times why she was here. She handled it really well, she told him she was there to help him take a shower. He told her that was my job because we were married. I had to stifle my laughter. He told her she couldn’t see him naked. The poor worker, I told her she could go because there wasn’t much she could do. I found it successful because he related quite well to her.
The next day, I was phoned by her employer saying she had to call in sick because she had a sore throat. She took a test and happily it was negative. So that was pretty much it for the first week of respite care.

Comments

• JulieB46
    JulieB46 Member Posts: 50
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments
    My DH had his first companion visit this week. The first time I waited to go to work so I could meet her and I try them. The second time I called him from work.  He said, “ thanks a lot. You didn’t leave me money.  I thought we were going to Micky Ds. I said no you’re staying home.  When I got home he said he had a good day and she was a nice young lady.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Buggsroo, so happy for you and glad you got to have some smiles out of it! And now you know it’s your job to help him shower! Lol! 

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Buggsroo,     That was so cute for your husband to say that, thanks for the smile. Hugs Zetta

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more