Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

PWD and Daylight Savings Time

David J
David J Member Posts: 479
100 Comments Third Anniversary

So is anyone experiencing difficulty today with their loved one’s schedule?  I know my body takes a while to adjust after the time change and wonder if PWD experience this in the same way. My wife is in an MCF, and I haven’t seen her yet today. She has had problems with her sleep cycle which seem to be resolved, but I am ready for more upset today. 

Those of you with your spouse or partner at home, have you noticed anything?

Comments

• Lizzielou
    Lizzielou Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    DH spent the morning trying to change the time on the TV because it was suddenly an hour off. During the last time change it took him 3 days to accept that the new time was correct.  I tried to explain Daylight Savings time but he thought that was ridiculous and why would we need to change the clock?  I found it best to just leave the issue alone.  When his TV shows don’t come on when the clock says  they should he gets the idea—-days later.  Just have to be patient.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I didn't bring it up at all and so far she hasn't noticed that I can tell.  That said, there's been a huge falloff the last 2-3 weeks (vascular cliff maybe?  who knows).  Not recognizing me, thinking other people are in the house.  I thought it was some old sleeping pills she had gottenb into, but it hasn't resolved.  Today I went downstairs to walk on the treadmill and when I came back up an hour later she had taken my purse out of my closet, was looking through my wallet to see who it belonged to.  I have nothing to hide, but if she lost my papers/cards/checkbooks/etc. it would be another mess.  So yet another thing to have to hide/secure.  

She's aware something is off, is insecure and shadowing even more than normal.  No UTI, lab changes; nothing except disease progression.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

The time changes used to throw my husband off for weeks. He had to know what time it "should" be. He started with that confusion before he was diagnosed. It was one of my red flags.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I don't think time means much to my wife anymore. I'm up before she is in the morning, and when she gets up she'll ask me what time it is. I could tell her it was 5 in the morning, or 11 in the morning, and she'll say "Is that all it is?". Time change doesn't register.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Except for medication times, or occasional doctor’s appointments, one day seems like the next here, except for whatever progression in the disease might appear. The days and times sometimes seem to just merge together. The things we used to look forward to are gone.
  • Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    The time change does not affect my husband because he always gets up at 3 or 4 in the morning to "make the coffee."  What does get him though is I'm a substitute teacher and I'll write down on a small white board what time I should be home.  I'll write down I'll be home around 3:00 and even if I come in at 2:50 I'm bombarded with, where have you been?  I've been waiting for hours.  Never fails.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Lizzielou wrote:
      I tried to explain Daylight Savings time but he thought that was ridiculous and why would we need to change the clock?  
    I agree with him.  DST benefits the auto body shops due to the extra collisions caused by sleepy drivers on the first Monday, but is otherwise just a pain IMO.
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Soooo glad to read the Senate finally passed a permanent Daylight Saving bill. Hope it passes in the House. If it does there will still be a wait, but hopefully it's coming next year.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Most Americans have no idea how much the day varies  in other countries through the year

In Austin Texas the longest daylight  of the year  is 4 hours longer than the shortest

But in Oslo Norway its 13 hours 

Even in London its 8 hours    its a question of latitude  

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I had a very hard time with the change in time. This hand a major impact on me again. I can not understand why this has caused such an issue. This time it had nothing to do with the light. But I think I have adjusted to it quickly this time as i think i am now okay.   

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    We tried permanent DST one year during the Carter administration in an attempt to conserve energy.  By December children were waiting for school buses in pitch darkness, hours before sunrise.  Quite the outcry was raised, and we didn't do it again.  How soon we forget.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Thank you all for responding to my curiousity. My wife has been getting up at the same time relative to her body clock, which means later by the the DST clock.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more