Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The great Escape

David J
David J Member Posts: 479
100 Comments Third Anniversary

I was visiting my wife in the MCF yesterday, and walking the halls with her. Several times we passed a group of three residents talking quietly together. One was a man who always s asks where the parking lot is, because he parked his car there (not). He was apparently the ringleader, because he was in front of the emergency egress diagram, pointing out the way (incorrectly).  As my wife and I continued our walk, we passed them several times as they made the their plans to blow the joint. Ringleader was very confident. After a while they made their way out of the wing and actually got within a few yards of the locked main entrance.  As we went by them again, they were trying to figure out how to get through the door. 

After an hour of walking with my wife, I grabbed my coat and headed to the main entrance. The conspirators where still discussing getting through the door. I pushed the button to exit, and as soon as it opened, I rushed through and closed it behind me. As I went through, they called out for me to wait and hold the door. On the receptionist’s monitor, I watched them rush over, beat on the door and kick it. 

This has a humorous side, but I can imagine the angst of wanting to get out and go home to their previous lives. 

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

David I use to visit mc units to sing with the residents and sometimes I had to be quick to make my escape. I am thankful for the systems that help keep them safe. 

Your story made me laugh. 

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

Wow, they were determined. Bless their hearts. When I visit my DH in MC, I often overhear some interesting conversations as well, and often have to duck out quickly or get a staff member to distract someone so I can leave.

When DH attended the day program at his current MC, he was let out of the secure area 3 times! Fortunately nothing bad happened and they always caught it quickly. Once it was by a visiting therapist and twice by a resident's family member. They didn't recognize my DH as a resident (he wasn't) so when he was near the door as they came in they asked if he was going out and at the time he said 'yes' to everything, so they'd just hold the door open for him. The staff felt terrible and put up a sign reminding visitors not to let people leave unless they came with them. 

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    DH’s cottage at the MCF is an armed fortress.  A staff member has to disable the coded alarm and the door can only stay open for about 5 seconds until ear splitting sirens go off.  One female resident spends a lot of time near the windows and doors, peering out and rattling handles.  She has offered to “see me out” twice, most recently today.  Each time, the caregiver has distracted her, punched in the code and whispered, “The door is open - -GO!” and I hustle.  It’s like a 3 stooges clip.  She has never gotten out, but to her credit, she never gives up.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I had to laugh when you said they were examining the emergency egress diagram. And pointing out the incorrect way to go. 

My great-grandfather was in a nursing home over 40 years ago. I guess he got out several times, and went visiting the homes nearby. Once he even got so far as a local bar.

My dad just told me the story a few days ago of a friend's father, who years ago busted out of his home, walked to a nearby car dealership and BOUGHT a car! They had a heck of a time tracking him down.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    We need more threads like this. I feel so much better after I laugh  and it is also sad as I have had to close the door while residents would hurry trying  to make the door. Some day that could be my dw. Wish I could use my vocabulary like some of you to tell a story with the color that words add.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    My grandmother could never walk more than several feet when I was growing up. After she got Alzheimer's and was living in assisted living (and wearing shoes that actually fit, rather than the size 6 1/2 she'd always worn), she escaped and was brought back from EIGHT MILES away! She was going home, to her mother's house two states over. After that we moved her to a facility with a lock.
  • Bill_2001
    Bill_2001 Member Posts: 114
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Amusing story, thank you for sharing!

Freedom is a basic human need. If my dear wife is ever in a locked memory care facility, I plan to take her outside as much as I can. I cannot imagine the horror of anyone there that has a momentary lucid moment, and cannot leave freely.

Scares the living daylights out of me. Even though I care for my dear wife at home, I take her outside all the time. Freedom is everything.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    At Dad's MCF, the exit from the secure area is an untrimmed door camouflaged in a pastoral mural painted on the wall. 

Dad was verbally exit-seeking and tried to figure out the exits when he first arrived. He once told me after he figured it out "You can tell the ones who work here- they can walk through walls".
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I heard of a care home that built a fake bus stop in the front yard.  When they missed someone, there they were, sitting on a bench waiting for the bus that wasn't coming.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more