Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Easy way to lock a room

My husband locked me out of the bedroom but I easily opened the door by putting a paper clip in the hole in the center of the knob. It made me realize I could easily lock the other bedroom or bathroom door to keep him out if I wanted to keep stuff safe. He would never figure out how to open it.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    My wife would go into the bathroom, and lock the door. I taped a key about 6 feet high on the outside of the door. It's been like that for years, and she's never seen it.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I had known how to open the lock using a paperclip. But I never thought  about doing that to keep dw out of a room. Thanks that might come in handy.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    I wish I had that kind of handle, I don't and I regret it. My partner went into my room today while I was downstairs on the treadmill  and when I came back she was going through my wallet. Fortunately didn't lose anything, but she's forgotten I live here and keeps talking about all the other people in the house who have left clothes here.  The time for constant supervision has arrived with a bang.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Sometimes I wish I could just close a door, like to the bathroom. Last night , husband had already gone to bed, thought I could take a relaxing shower. I did close the door. I hear this banging on the door and he is saying are you in there? It wasn’t locked, he could have just opened the door. He told me he couldn’t find me. 

But it’s good to know how to use a paperclip to unlock a door. Thank you for the information! 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more