Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Head drooping

Fill me in on why this happens. DH has been doing this for the last 6 months or so, but it's much worse now. I know it's common, but I just never really understood why it happens.

Comments

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My limited internet research shows this may be associated with Lewy Body Dementia. And as I read more about LBD, DH seems to be checking many of those boxes. Including more recent tremors in his hands. His mom had Parkinson's.

Hummm.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Josey the primary symptoms for my SIL who died of LBD last year were motor, not being able to stand up straight and head drooping being very prominent. She really didn't have much confusion or dementia until the very end.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I'm curious about this too and will be following. My DH doesn't droop his head forward, but leans it, and his torso, to the left. When I raise his bed to feed him, I support his left side with a pillow so he falls less than he would otherwise. He doesn't have LBD, but does have tremors.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Marie, now that you mention it, DH has his left shoulder dropped down considerably more than his right, and leans a bit that way. It's more pronounced for him when he's slept on the couch and his back hurts (he's had back pain on and off for years), but he's always leaning a little. Interesting.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more