Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

6 years

I just realized that I have been on this site for 6 years. At that time my husband had memory issues but was still driving. Today he no longer drives, has no short term memory and long term is disappearing, gets lost, can’t be left alone, can’t do any chores around the house and does not ever remember doing them at any time in the past. He can dress himself but not always appropriately, is continent, feeds himself, showers with en+our age ent and can walk 6 miles a day. He is totally happy in the moment and is living his best life except for having a very grumpy and sometimes snarky wife. I honestly see him living another 6 plus years. I will be looking at memory care at some point but I honestly can’t imagine coming on this site for a 12 year anniversary. When I joined in 2016 I thought he would be in memory care in 3 years.

Comments

• KevinMc
    KevinMc Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary
    My DW has progressed cognitively to about where your DH is in 15 months.  It is scary and I am really struggling to keep up with the changes.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

2010   MCI
    2012   EOAD
    2014   Joined this Group 
    2017   Placement in memory care
    2018    Last time she knew who I was
    2022     DW will be 70 in May

• michiganpat
    michiganpat Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    I am where you were 6 years ago. It is scary.
  • Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    My DW was diagnosed in 2016.  I found the site and joined in 2018.  My DW is in late stage 6.  The days drag very slowly, but the years keep clicking by.  Rick
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Well said Rick4407.  

My DW herself remarked on her memory issues in 2015.  Diagnosed in 2017 (she resisted getting tested for some time…I think she knew).  Now late stage 6. Sometimes she looks at me, smiles, calls me darling, and tells me she loves me.  Sometimes she stares at me with the blankest of stares, unknowing and unseeing.   

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    They are all so much alike, but yet so different. My wife was diagnosed four years ago. She often has problems with using appropriate words, and uses "three to elevens" to take the place of any word she can't find. Her short term memory is not good, to say the least. She can't cook or use a phone or remote control. Basic math was one of the first things to go. She does not always know where the bathroom is, and she frequently wants to visit her deceased mother or her grandparents. She is double incontinent. She often tries to put her shoes on the wrong feet, or one sock on and the other off.  But it could be worse. She is not aggressive, and does not wander. If she stays like this, she's not going anywhere soon.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    2010- - MCI (Although, looking back, the signs were there)
    2018- - Joined the forum (After flying by the seat of my pants for 8 years)
    2021- - MCF placement.
    Approaching 12 years since initial diagnosis and reflecting back,  some years are a blur while certain events remain crystal clear.  Overall, it wasn’t what we/I expected or planned for.  Time passes; one day at a time.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My husband seems to be at a similar stage. He was officially diagnosed in 2015 but symptoms definitely appeared earlier. He was in good shape when this started and I think that may be an issue. My uncle had early onset AD and had been in fantastic physical shape. He died after more than 11 years.

Sometimes I wonder how long this will go on. Knowing that this disease only gets worse, I think about when I should consider MC, what I will do when DH is gone, and what kind of shape I’ll be in when AD is behind me. My husband has what I’d call extreme anasognosia. He’s in blissful oblivion about his condition. That means there’s no discussion about dementia,not only with him but also with my children, grandchildren, and friends. I am grateful for texting and email because that’s my only means of communication. How long can this go on? I have no idea. I only hope that I survive it.

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

June 2016 DH was diagnosed with EOAD, retired 6 months later.

June 2018 I retired early to care for him, after having in home help while I was working.

Sept 2020, placed in MC, he was already nonverbal and couldn't do any ADLs independently.

Nov 2021 became bedbound, doesn't smile, has to be hand fed, leans to one side when bed is raised.

DH just turned 65 a few weeks ago.

Sad anniversaries for all...

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Paris, I know how lonely this can be too.  No one else to talk to, my kids somewhat but they're busy with their own thirty something lives.  If it weren't for this forum I'd go nuts.

My partner started showing symptoms maybe 2013, (age 72) definitely unable to do banking by 2014.  So we're 8-9 years in.  Accelerating course the last two years, for sure.  I also wonder how long it will go on.  Sad to say I pray sometimes that something else takes her.  When she sleeps in late, I wonder to myself whether this might be the day that she doesn't wake up.  That would be a blessing, knowing what's coming.  I'm glad she doesn't know/realize, most of the time.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Jan. 2007 - First mri for memory issues. DH was not quite 43 years old.

2012 - First MCI diagnosis. (I discovered that much later, in paperwork) 

2012 - First Neuropsychologist testing. She said depression and anxiety.

Dec. 2015 - Possible dementia diagnosis from local neurologist. Finally.

May 2016 - Big Teaching Hospital expert said "probable" Alzheimers. DH was 52.

May 2016 - I joined this site (Just 2 months and 12 days after you, Gig Harbor!)

March 8, 2022 - DH moved into memory care. 

• John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments

January 2015: MCI diagnosed. DW went on long-term disability. 

April 2015: DW "celebrated" 50th birthday with AD diagnosis. DS 19 at college. DD 13 and finishing 8th grade.

Summer 2015: Engraved plaque for DW's 63rd patent arrives in mail. She was a productive genius.

June 2016: I "retired" to be full-time caregiver.  

Feb. 2020: Last "vacation" before AD and Covid prevented more travel.  

Today (3/14/22): First time DW rejects a kiss and says, "I don't know who you are." 

If/when I die early, it will be AD that kills me. Caring for it, not having it. I love DW, but am looking forward to placement and beyond. 

In the meantime ... DD diagnosed with depression and anxiety (I wonder why, ha). DS very successful but drinks a lot. A dear brother died of cancer. Both of DW's parents died of natural causes. I can count on one hand (with a couple of digits left over) the number of church members who have reached out to help. And count on the other hand the number of friends who have reached out to help. 

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    My dh was diagnosed almost exactly a year ago, and retired at the end of March 2021 (early, age 58). He'd been having trouble with nouns for 2 years or more and the term "confusion" was said for the first time in October 2020. Now, he walks for miles each day, refuses to go to day care, harder and harder to understand. Still continent, still dresses himself, spending a lot of time rummaging through the house.
  • Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

2010 - I 'knew' something was wrong with DH.  Son got married and DH had to be reminded to go greet his siblings at the reception!  I retired and DH didn't say a word; I had a huge surprise party for him. I didn't get a card!  I was hurt and angry to say the least.  Beginning of my anger stage.  

2015 - Diagnosed with "Brain Atrophy".  He could still draw the most beautiful clock, do complicated math computations, but had very little abstract thoughts and little empathy.  (FTD very different than Alz. ) 

2017 - Last time traveled away from home overnight.  He sobbed at Christmas at my sister's house because he wanted to go home.  Drove 500 miles that day round trip.  

2018 - Diagnosed with FTD and ALS (The ALS was a shock!)  

2020 - Became bed-bound, catheter, non-verbal.  Never agitated. Sweet.  

2022 - Drools, Developing bed sores (seems like overnight!).  When bedsores become painful and when he needs more meds, I will have him transferred to a hospice home....(that's new).  Ugh. 

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Lills,

I think of you often.  I so admire your fighting spirit; you just won’t give in.  I hope you can find relief in some form, sooner rather than later. I thought of you this morning. I was typing out the lyrics for “Tomorrow” from Annie. (Our seven-year-old fancies herself a budding Adele. She has a sweet voice, but she screws up the lyrics.) Stay strong.  Hang on ‘til tomorrow.  

• Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Wow a lot of our stories are so much alike. My DW was diagnose in 2019, but now I look back before then I should have seen the the small clues that were in front of me. DW was very activity fast walk 5miles like it was nothing, now she walks but very slow. DW still can shower herself, feed herself, but I have to help dress her appropriately. I guess I'm like KevinMc, scared of how fast of the changes are coming.
  • Memphisdee
    Memphisdee Member Posts: 64
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    I don’t know how you have lasted that long. I’m already considering getting on a list. Feeling guilty though of course. Probably won’t do it. Negativity and stubbornness getting me down.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more