Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Yellow sticker/folder?

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,719
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Just participated in my first local zoom support group.  Interestingly, having been on this forum for 18 months, I didn't hear much new --but that's not the point of course.  One thing that did get talked about was a car issue:  other folks were talking about a program to put a yellow sticker on your dashboard, which reportedly alerts law enforcement folks that there is potentially a PWD in the car, and to look in the glove compartment for a yellow folder with more information.  I've never heard of this before, have any of you?  Not a bad idea, but I don't know if it's local or national.

Other participant in this group (other than the moderators) were not familiar with alzconnected or with Teepa Snow.  I think that's just reflective of people being at different points in their journeys.   I gave these forums a big plug though, and they were interested.

Anyway just curious if anyone here is familiar with the yellow sticker/folder program.  I just looked online, and not all states have it--but I could request  information from our state departmetn of Transportation which includes the decals for the cars and the informaiton forms to fill out and put in your vehicle.  Google yellow dot senior driving safety and you'll find it.  Learned something new.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That's interesting, M1. Thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I hadn't heard of that so I looked it up Tennessee has this. Here is a link to it. Thanks M1 

I ordered my kit online. 

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/traffic-operations-division/transportation-management-office/yellow-dot-program.html

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Apparently this bill was brought up in 2019, but it seems to have been defeated. We do have what is called Hoosier Helpers, which is a group that canvasses major highways (interstates). They help with flat tires, minimal amounts of gas, and emergency medical help. But that does not cover most of the roads in the state. The one in the bill was called "yellow dot", and sounds just like the one you described.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Thank you M1!  I’m glad you did the zoom meeting.
  • Caring4two
    Caring4two Member Posts: 33
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Yes, we have (had) the program in Illinois. When my husband was alive I kept a yellow dot on my rear windshield and a yellow folder in my glove compartment with all his information in case of an accident and I couldn’t respond. I also have one for my disabled son (autism) for the same reason. I update it every 6 months. He also wears a medic alert bracelet as did my husband. I’m not sure if the funding went away or what here in Illinois. I thought it was a good program.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Never heard about the yellow folder/sticker thing, and I’ve been going to support groups and caregiver classes (which are excellent, 60-90 minutes once a week for 6-7 weeks) at our regional Alzheimer’s Association. 

Driving/transportation is a big topic, seems like somebody would have mentioned if it is done around here.

It sounds like a great idea. I carry such info on me, and putting more in the car is easy enough. Maybe it’ll be seen if there’s a need. But not hard to do regardless.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thanks, M1

Interesting!  I googled it and PA has such a program.  It seems as though the yellow sticker alert in PA is geared toward any “senior” in the car who might have a unique medical issue, not exclusively PWD’s.  I may investigate this further as I exhibit “difficult intubation, anterior anatomy” and was advised in writing to wear a Medic alert bracelet indicating same.  Unfortunately, the only time I was in the ER (having passed out after COVID vaccine #2), the young nurse admired my bracelet.  I said, “Thanks, it’s actually a Medic alert bracelet.”  She turned white and said, “Oh my God, what’s it for?” So that didn’t work as planned. Maybe I need a yellow sticker on my forehead in case of emergency.  

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I really like the idea of the yellow dot and folder in the glovebox with information. That seems like it would fit so many situations, not just dementia.

Beachfan - Your medical alert bracelet story was scary because no one noticed it. It seems that would be the first thing the ER would look for. But you made me laugh out loud with your comment about putting the sticker on your forehead.

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Personally, I'm not letting anyone know with stickers or folders that I am aware an impaired person is behind the wheel, because that person isn't the one on the hook if there is an accident or damage.  I will be.

Instead of allowing an impaired person to drive, I did the responsible thing and removed the keys and vehicle.
  • Caring4two
    Caring4two Member Posts: 33
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Comments
    In Illinois this program was run by the DMV (division of motor vehicles) but it’s called different things in different states so check with the place that deals with drivers licenses in your state. Yes, it’s a program for any “special” individual not just Dementia patients.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    dayn2nite2 - I was thinking of it more as the passenger was impaired, in case of an accident and I, as the driver, was unable to provide any necessary information.
  • toolbeltexpert
    Beachfan wrote:

said, “Thanks, it’s actually a Medic alert bracelet.”  She turned white and said, “Oh my God, what’s it for?”

That sounds so scary they didn't check your bracelet, I bet thst nurse will. Sounds like it put a scare in her. Like Josey, your note on your forehead made me laugh..

• toolbeltexpert
    Rescue mom wrote:

I’ve been going to support groups and caregiver classes (which are excellent, 60-90 minutes once a week for 6-7 weeks) at our region

Rescue mom. I started the Alzheimer’s caregiver class last week on zoom. Mistake 1. I did the 530pm class. The internet was not very good even with fiber, 2. Wife is sundowning. I switch to the day class. 6 weeks 2 hrs apiece. 
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

M1 thank you for sharing. I checked my state Texas and they don’t have the yellow dot program. They do have a medical alert sticker to put on window. Decided to order it. I keep my own notebook in the car. As Josey said in case something should happen to me my dh’s information is there. 

Thanks again for sharing, we can always use good ideas. This got many of us checking with our own state. That’s a good thing! 

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

This is a new one to me, as well.  I checked and not only does my state (New York) have a yellow dot automobile program, it also has a yellow dot home program.  The yellow dot goes on or near the door and the information card, tucked into a Ziploc, goes ‘in a visible location’ in the freezer.

As noted, it is not AD specific.  

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Yes I don't think it's to indicate necessarily that the driver is impaired, but to provide information in the event of an accident. From looking at the forms it's not much different than what you might have in your wallet or on your phone, but law enforcement knows to look for it. For instance if I put one on my car I can indicate that I'm a dementia caregiver and they would immediately know that, that's a good thing.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    Wow day2nite, that never occurred to me in a million years…I was only thinking about it in terms of having a PWD as a passenger, in case others are disabled or unable to cope. Absolutely not as a PWD driving.
  • toolbeltexpert
    Dayn2nite2 in Tennessee nobody knows any of the information about any of the occupants. All the info is in the yellow folder. I am like you pwd shouldn't have keys. The dept of transportation sends out the package, you fill it out and put it in the glove box.   I would want someone to know about my wife's condition, and have the phone numbers of the folks who need to know if I was unconscious.  It's kinda like a medalert bracelet. Plan b. Always have a plan b. I did just find out about this today but I think it's a good thing.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Jeff, I would never have thought to put the information in the freezer! I’ve heard of putting it in the refrigerator on one of the sides! Thanks for sharing that information!
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    M1, I recently started attending a local ALZ support group on zoom and also found that no one had heard of alzconnected. I sang this forum’s praises. On the topic of the yellow dot program, it looks like there isn’t one here in AZ. I was told by the Care Manager we hired that the cops do check for emergency info in the glove compartment in the case of an accident. She suggested putting info about pets needing care and who to contact in with the emergency care info. This thread is a good reminder to get the info (about both DH and the cats) into the glove compartment!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more