Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Question on driver's license/ID

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
My wife's driver's license expired in December, 2021. She has not driven in about 30 years, but kept renewing her license. She will not try to renew it again, but why should she get a state ID? She will not be flying or going to federal buildings, so I don't see a reason for her to have one. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,405
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed - you are thinking of Real Id - that’s the ID that will allow you on a plane or in a federal building ( passport will work for those too).  That requires additional documents. 

However, there is also the normal state ID.  You should probably get your wife that so that you can produce an unexpired ID for hospital or medical visits.  I think you will need one if you put her in respite care or in a facility etc.  in my state, people over 65 get one that never expires so that they only go through the process once.  Since your wife’s DL is expired less than a year, I think you could probably take her and it to the DMV without any additional paperwork. 

• Cinsababe
    Cinsababe Member Posts: 36
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    I have to show a current ID to pick up some of DH's meds and he needed it for vaccination.  Also in January each year at doctor they take copies of ID and insurance cards. It only took a few minutes at the DMV to exchange his license for a state ID that doesn't expire.
  • shardy
    shardy Member Posts: 43
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments
    For us we keep Jim's state ID for one main purpose. Filing federal income tax. Of course we also use it at Drs appointment or hospital entry.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I just renewed my DH license over the internet. Not to drive but just for id purposes.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

The ID was necessary.  We had to produce the state ID for several dynamics, and for sure, when applying for Medicaid.  They needed to have a copy of the current state ID to process the application for long term care.

In our county, the DMV had the ability to have the process done in the home IF a person was totally unable to go into the DMV office which was our issue.

They sent out two men with a camera and a screen for background. They sat one LO on a chair for the photo, the other was done in the wheelchair.  The process was completed fast; we got the IDs within two weeks.

Not all areas will have that service, but one can call and ask.

Good luck,

J.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed, I recall reading a post a couple of years ago were a members LO had no official government ID and it was causing them serious challenges in whatever they were trying to do at that time, I can’t remember the details. Anyways after reading that post I made a mental note to make sure DW always maintain an official government ID. DW’s license expires next January and I plan to switch her to a state identification card.
  • Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    My first thought was for voting but that may vary.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Thanks for the replies. I never thought about Medicaid or voting. Or even the hospital. We'll have to get it done.
  • extex
    extex Member Posts: 62
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Same situation here.  I see no reason other than maybe voting.  My wife votes by mail and so far they are taking the expired ID.  She also has a military ID card that doesn’t expire.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more